Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Retaining wall with Whites Retain It system

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Retaining wall with Whites Retain It system

Hello, sorry if I am posting duplicated subjects. Had a look but didn't find answers directly relevant to my project, so I hope you don't mind posting this here.

I would like to build a retaining wall using the Whites "Retain It" system. The wall would be about 8.5m in length. I plan on using Ironwood 200 x 75mm 2.4m Sienna treated pine sleepers. I am planning of a height three sleepers (about 600mm). I would also like to install a capping on top of the wall. It will be more of a garden wall than a retaining wall. I am planning to use whites 1500mmx75mm posts.

I'm aiming for a straight line version of:

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.55.55.png 

My questions to begin with:

• What should the distance between the Retain iT posts be for 75mm sleepers? Can the full length of 2.4m be used? 
  • If the sleepers need to be cut to length, do they need to be treated in some way to maintain protection agains decay and so on?
  • What is generally used for the top capping? Would it be another sleeper? How should the capping be fixed to the wall sleepers?
  • How much quick set concrete should I plan for each of the joiner posts?  

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Retaining wall with Whites Retain It system

Hi Mitchell,

could I build an above ground pond (for fish) with this sort of set up, and line it internally with pond liner?

im thinking about 1800 x 800 x 600 high?

would I need then 600mm hole for posts?

Hi @Boooooort,

Thanks for joining in the discussion and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Mitch is taking a well-earned break at the moment, so I will ask @EricL to assist you when he is back on the site tomorrow. Let me also tag @Adam_W to see if he can share his expertise. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our clever and creative community members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Boooooort
Getting Established

Thanks @Jason !

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Boooooort

Thank you for sharing your query about the Whites Retain It system as a possible framework for an above-ground fish pond. If you are using it as a pond enclosure and not a retaining wall you probably don't need such large footing.  A post hole of 300mm would be enough to keep the post stable. I would follow the rules for depth and that half of the post must be underground to prevent any shifting.

Please make sure that there are no sharp objects at the bottom and sides of the enclosure when you install your pond liner. 

Let me call on experienced member @Adam_W for some advice.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to the start of your build.

Eric

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

I have installed my retaining wall and am quite pleased with the result.

The next step is to install an irrigation line and electrical conduite behind it before I back fill. Also intend to add some decking oil to darken the colour a bit.

Thanks to all those who provided me with advice and support I needed to complete this project. The feedback you provided is greatly appreciated. You guys rock.

*** Tried to upload an image but the system won't allow me to add one, something about invalid HTML *** 

As in..

Correct the highlighted errors and try again.
Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

Thanks for the update @steveof2620.

It would be great to see a photo of what you've done. 

You might get that error message if you have cut and pasted something from another source (which comes with hidden HTML tags). Just hit the post button after you get the message and you should be fine. 

If you have further dramas, feel free to email the photo to workshop@bunnings.com.au and we can add it for you.

Thanks again,

Jason

Hi @Boooooort & apologies for the delay. We've had our Queensland Garden Expo on up here so busy time for me.
You can line a structure with flexible pond liner to create a pond but... you do have to bear in mind that the wall then becomes load-bearing as it is 'retaining' the weight of the water. Water weighs 1tonne per cubic metre so your proposed size would be retaining around 800kg of water plus any rocks etc. you add in a 'static' load.
This means you'd definitely want post holes around that 500mm depth and width... depends a little on your soil but you'd want at least 100mm of concrete front & rear of the post.
I'd also recommend using a high MPa concrete mix.

That sort of answered your questions?

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

OK, here it is in all its glory.. Thanks to everyone who replied with tips and advice. And yes, its level!

IMG_0604 copy.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @steveof2620

Thank you for sharing your retaining wall project. It looks fantastic! What stain did you use to colour it? Did it take very long to build? I'm sure our members would love to hear the details of your build.  

We look forward to seeing more.

Eric

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

It was a pretty straight forward build in the end. I did it over a few weekends, someone with experience would be able to do it over a single weekend I reckon. The colour is the colour of the Sienna Treated Pine Sleeper I obtained from Bunnings. The colour is growing on me but I think I'll apply some decking oil to darken the colour a bit. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects