Ask a question

How to remove rust on security door?

kingj
Growing in Experience

How to remove rust on security door?

410A6AA9-556F-4906-9C03-D6AA83BA2336.jpeg

Hi

i Just bought a house and there is a rust on the front security door

have tried to use sand paper and rust removal chemical(Calcium Lime Rust Remover) but it doesn’t go.

what else can we do and if we repaint it will it come up again

please see the attached photo

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Rust on security door

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kingj and thank for sharing this photo which makes it so much easier for us to see the issue and suggestion solutions.

You might find this discussion interesting. Let me tag @redracer01 and @MitchellMc who might be able to suggest the best way to deal with this situation.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
kingj
Growing in Experience

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kingj, and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

To give you the best chance of halting the rust progression, I'd recommend preparing the surface and repainting it. It would be best if you started using a Josco Scratch Brush by hand or a Craftright 5 Piece Wire Brush Set in a drill to remove any excess rust from the surface. Unlike the sandpaper, the wire brush will allow you to get into the screen's textured surface. Once you have given the screen a good scrubbing, brush the remaining rusty dust off it. You don't need to remove all signs of rust, just anything loose on the surface.

You can then apply White Knight Rust Guard Rust Converter to treat the rust and prepare the surface by creating a lasting barrier against further corrosion. Now that the surface is prepared spray White Knight 300g White Rust Guard All Purpose Primer over the screen. Once it dries, you'll follow it up with White Knight Rust Guard 310g Gloss White Epoxy Enamel Spray Paint or an equivalent colour to suit your door.

It might be worth spraying the door frame as well. That way, you'll have a screen door that looks brand new.

Please let me know if you need further help or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kingj
Growing in Experience

Hey @MitchellMc ,

thanks , I cant find White Knight 300g White Rust Guard All Purpose Primer  in the bunnings website can you please the link again

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kingj,

I'll reach out via PM to get some location details so I can then find a suitable product available in your area.

Mitchell

kingj
Growing in Experience

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's the correct product, but in the light grey version @kingj. If you were spraying the door white again, I would suggest a white undercoat will be better as you'll cover it with fewer coats than the grey version.

I've contacted your local store, and they have been out of stock of the White Knight 300g White Rust Guard All Purpose Primer. Stock is now available and will be back in-store shortly. I'd suggest that placing a special order will ensure you are contacted when it arrives at the store. The product number is 375572/300GM, and the Fineline is 1562904. If you speak to one of our team members at your local store's Special Orders desk, they can place an order for you.

Please let me know if you need any assistance ordering the product.

Mitchell

kingj
Growing in Experience

Hey @MitchellMc  I haven't still been able to order this, to be honest didnt speak to Special order desk yet.

Can I place an order online?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @kingj,

Mitch is taking a break at the moment after the birth of his child. 

Let me tag @EricL who will be able to assist you with your order. 

Thanks,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects