Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sandpit Timber Ideas

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Sandpit Timber Ideas

Hello Community Members 😁, I was just wondering what timber I can get from Bunnings to build a metre X metre child's sandpit with a lid.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards Rob Colbert 👍😁

Highlighted
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Re: Sandpit Timber Ideas

Jarrah is always good, rot, termite and fire resistance is good if you look after it. You con get suitable jarrah in the fencing section. And of course, not toxic to the Kids. Will the timbers be resting directly on the ground, though? I'd suggest a good base of pour in place rubber under the pit and surrounding, and the put the pit on that. And jarrah is dense and heavy - maybe make the lid out of another wood if you want the kids to be able to lift it by themselves. Will this be in an open-to-all-weathers situation, or under a shade sail or ???
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I'm going to build a sail.

But just interested in the type of timber

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I would think Jarrah as well.

I would think sleepers for the frame and screening/pailings/decking but the website does not list any in SA although I know my local store has at least stock in decking.

Here seems as relevant as anywhere else to ask @Jason if he can find out why products like Jarrah and Meranti are disappearing off the website but still are available in store?

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Happy to pass your feedback onto the Bunnings team @Brad. My understanding from previous discussions is that the team is working with suppliers about how to improve the accuracy of descriptions and stock levels for timber on the website. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects