Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shade options for west-facing patio

bruzzz
Getting Established

Shade options for west-facing patio

My backyard faces west and looking for suggestions to block/shade afternoon sun. 

4D05DD82-B69D-4116-A5CB-6519CFE0B826.jpeg

bruzzz
Getting Established

Re: shade for west facing patio

Thanks @Noelle 

i’m on the Gold Coast. I thought bougainvilleas have invasive roots? Would like something easy to maintain, wont damage the structure of the flyover patio, won’t weed my sir walter buffalo lawn. 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

@bruzzz  Bougainvillea roots won't damage the concrete or cause issues in the lawn. You could grow a climber in a large tub rather than dug a hoe and plant it is the soil. None of the suggestions will damage the structure of the patio roof.  Have a look at climbing plants available in your local Bunnings for other options. 

bruzzz
Getting Established

Thanks @Noelle 

what size tub would you recommend? Noting the timber post is 2.7m high and steel beam 5.4m long. 

just need to find the right fixings for the steel beam to run the wire trellis. Need to make sure it will support the weight. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

For wire fixing I would use -

arc-u-clips-and-tek-screws-20-pack 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

@bruzzz 

Half wine barrel would work - something large enough that repotting isn't going to be needed for quite some time! The steel beam will support the weight of a plant without any trouble, keeping in mind that regular pruning will be needed to prevent it becoming a full length curtain!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects