Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions for a wipe on Stain for pine bench

terrywang
Building a Reputation

Suggestions for a wipe on Stain for pine bench

Hi all,

Completed a weekend DIY project on my todo list (procrastinated for very long...) using 70x35x90cm short pine run-off-mill. OK with the work, sanded it, looking for some wipe on stain to make it look like oak, thanks in advance.

bench.png

terrywang_0-1676160962121.png

https://www.bunnings.com.au/70-x-35mm-0-9m-short-pine-run-of-mill_p8401046

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wipe on Stain for pine bench

What a lovely project, @terrywang! A simple and functional design.

There are plenty of Oak coloured stains that you could use on your project. My go-to stain for interior projects is Feast Watson prooftint and it comes in an Oak colouring. I'd suggest applying it with a rag and using it sparingly. It's best to do several coats until you reach the desired tone. If you are looking to have the timber grain show through, you'll only need a couple of light coats.

If you're looking for a super-smooth top-notch finish on your project, I'd recommend using Feast Watson 250ml Sanding Sealer prior to the stain. This product fills the pores in the timber and, when sanded back, leaves an ultra-smooth surface ready for stain.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
terrywang
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc Thanks :wink: I am quite happy with the work considering it's my first ever DIY furniture from scratch.

I ended up going for water based Cabot's Cabothane Clear Water Based satin - (applied 3x coatings) after trying different stains in Bunnings (some senior staff generously offered tested some stains for me on the raw pine at Pymble store), they look completely different from what I expect.

3x coatings makes the pine look darker, also get smooth surface, that's exactly what I wanted. Ended up using it indoor as it is really lovely to look at the comfy to sit on.

I'll make another for outdoor and will definitely try the oak stain and varnish (exterior clear coat - can I use the same clear coat or https://www.cabots.com.au/product/cabots-exterior-clear-water-based/ specifically for exterior - note it'll be under cover but will expose to afternoon sun UV) afterwards.

terrywang_0-1676272253629.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @terrywang 

What a beautiful pine bench, it looks like it came from straight out of those posh house magazines. Welcome to timber painting and staining, I'm sure you've noticed by now that raw timber behaves differently once you start painting it with a clear coat. Freshly sanded timber with large pores tend to absorb the clear coat giving it a darker tone. You'll notice this when you use different timbers for your project. Just keep in mind that if you are keeping the furniture outside make sure the paint product you are using is rated for outdoor use.

Please make sure to wear proper safety equipment such as gloves goggles and a dust mask when working on or painting your project.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

terrywang
Building a Reputation

Thanks, I am surprised to see how the design is liked :wink:

I am currently making another (version 2) with some improvement over the OG, will share the design and make in a separate post as my first contribution on the forum.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @terrywang 

That sounds wonderful, I look forward to seeing your new design. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects