Workshop
Ask a question

How to waterproof a timber door?

echorand
Finding My Feet

How to waterproof a timber door?

Hi all, we have this door (see picture) that is exposed to rain water. What would be the best way to preserve the paint and wood?

Hardly any DIY experience here and never painted anything :unhappy: so if possible would welcome any suggestions for hiring someone. 

Thanks,

Amit

PXL_20201127_231401863.jpg

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Re: Water proofing timber door?

This will always be an issue when timber doors are on the exterior of a home.  The best thing and it will sadly be something that has to be repeated as the weather continues to beat down on these doors.  You will be surprised at how easy it is, just break it down into small manageable steps. 

1) Ensure you have everything you need before you start the job.  *(watch some U-Tube video's to get handy hints in confidence is an issue). 

Only an example, but if you do a search you might find something more relevant to yourself.

2)  Pick your weather.   e.g. not raining or too hot.  *(I find early spring is a great time of year to tackle jobs like this)

3) Sand back the doors and ensure any loose varnish has been removed. *( I find my hands are the best gauge for this)

4) Make any repairs, eg. bog up holes repair any damaged timber areas.

5) Clean and ensure your doors are free of dust and any loose particles. *(I vacuum mine) :smile: Then wipe over with a tac rag.

6) If you need any advice before you start, the staff at Bunnings paint sections are trained and are only to willing to give you advice ~ So don't be afraid to ask.

7) Mask up and tape off any areas such as the glass and lock so you don't get varnish on them.

😎 Start painting/varnishing read the instructions on your varnish, so you know when it's ok and anything you should or shouldn't be doing.

As they say you never know if you don't give it a go.  It is so rewarding when you look back at a project knowing you did it yourself.

I moved into a home that had exterior door almost the same.  

First: I took the doors off the house, took of all fixtures and then I sanded the doors back,  

I then painted them with a sealer, but that was only because I sanded it back to the timber.

I have also used the following products with great results.  Cabot's Satin clear exterior timber finish which comes in a 1 lt, I have also used Fest-Watson satin clear timber weatherproof varnish which also comes in a 1 lt if I remember correctly.

If the prep is done properly in the first place it should last you years before you have to do the same again.

In one area I resorted to putting up a shade sail as it was just too sunny in Summer.  Maybe this is something you could look into if your door is getting more sun than you would like.

Hope this is of some help @echorand 

Older varnished doorsOlder varnished doors

There are a great many talented or should I say gifted folk on this site, only to willing to lend some advice.

Happy painting

This oldgal 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @echorand. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's great to see you have already received a very thorough explanation on how to coat your doors by the wonderful @Old-gal24. You should also find this step-by-step guide useful: How To Restore Wooden Furniture. Although they restore a table it follows the same principals that you will use on your doors.

Please let us know if you need further information or had questions. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you.

Sound advice from old gal 24. I recommend removing fittings such as locks and knobs because you get a better,  smoother finish, for a small time investment.  Less worried about masking glass... it's often easier and quicker to carefully (lightly) scrape paint, etc off glass then mask it, which rarely gives a good result anyway. (I often intentionally paint the glass edges with water based paint as a "mask" before starting. It comes off easily. )

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects