Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint product should I use to paint a pond's inside wall?

kashgenius
Growing in Experience

What paint product should I use to paint a pond's inside wall?

I have searched the internet and have come across liquid rubber and epoxy paint as the options? 

Which ones work best and are any of the products to tintable to a particular color? Is there a particular product that you would recommend? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What paint product should I use to paint a pond's inside wall?

Just to clarify @Eliza1, where are you at now? Is the top layer the sandstone pond sealer or the Dunlop product? Is the pond sealer on top of the Dunlop product or below it? 

I'll assume your first image is where you're at and you need to lighten the colour. You could mix white paint into the next coat, but there has been no testing done by the manufacturer so it's hard to tell what will happen.

In hindsight, if no water was to be kept in the fountain, then I would have recommended you simply paint over the Dunlop product with your choice of exterior paints. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. The top layer is the pond sealer. Bugger as I asked so many people and said it was only a feature and not used for birds/water.

I was told the pond sealer will help protect the weathering of the pond from cracking again. 

I guess now I can only try and mix some white paint and do a trial on a section but do you think it would bond properly? I know it hasn't been tested but maybe it could work..

I've also been told by a painting shop that because it's water based that I could apply an acrylic paint over the sealer.. this was the pond at the start so I'm sure it won't crack again with everything I have done.. Also could the pond sealer fade in time?

Thanks so much, I wish I knew about this sight earlier..

Screenshot_20220215-114703_Gallery.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Oh, wow! You've done an amazing job there, @Eliza1.

The pond sealer quite possibly could assist in preventing the concrete from cracking again, and if it weren't for this colour discrepancy, I too would advise you to use it. It's just a shame that it's turned out a bit yellow. If you mix white paint with the pond sealer, I think it will likely bond properly. I'm not so sure about just using straight paint over the pond sealer. Just because two products are acrylic doesn't mean they are compatible. Chances are it will be fine, but we can never know for sure. A test section would be your best option. Paint a small area and wait for it to fully cure over a few days. Take some masking tape and lay it over the area, adhering it well. Wait five minutes and then rip it off quickly at a 90-degree angle to the surface. They haven't bonded well if it pulls the paint off the sealer.

The pond sealer could fade in time, but I'm not confident that it will be a fast process or that it will ever match well with the off-white colour.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell, I did it all by hand then used a paint brush with water to keep the swell look. Fiddly but it worked.

Great idea with the tape and will try that. My mum lives in Launceston TAS and the frost and warm weather has been the problem I'm guessing. 

Just checking that it does need to be acrylic paint? Also do you recommend a particular brand etc that is good?

I presume white is the best colour to achieve a lighter sandstone colour as so many products out there.

Thanks again 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It would be best if you stuck with acrylic products @Eliza1. I don't think the quality will be all that important as you're mixing it into a waterproofer. However, something like Dulux Weathershield would be more than adequate. White would be the best colour to lighten the sandstone colour.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell 

Sorry to clarify again but when I messaged you Sat o also emailed Crommalin rep and today he has advised not to mix acrylic paint as pond sealer is a membrane not paint and has different chemical makeup and to paint over pond sealer with water based acrylic paint. 

This is where it gets confusing as I don't want to wreck my hard work and just don't know who's advice to take?

I hope you understand as I don't know what to do as different opinions. 

Thanks Eliza 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Eliza1,

That matches up with my original comment where I advised that there are no paints Crommelins can recommend, which you could mix in to lighten the colour. The advice I received was that they couldn't guarantee any paint that goes over it either. It sounds like you've received slightly different information there, though.

Basically, water-proofing membranes and paints don't go together. However, if they advise that you can paint over the membrane with acrylic paint, I'd certainly do a test section, as discussed earlier. That could be the solution you need. 😀

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects