Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do about this gate's wood rot?

Bluetooth
Having an Impact

What to do about this gate's wood rot?

20211212_100601.jpg

There is some wood rot at the bottom of this gate. Should I replace a piece of it or go with a whole new gate? Build from scratch or can U get a gate made to measure for a reasonable price?

Maybe there are some upgrades I could think about if I'm putting in a new on like mounting a wifi camera inside🙂

Re: What to do about this gate's wood rot?

20220409_151742.jpg

Disaster! The merbau has leeched through my paint job! I primed and painted 2coats, so thought I'd be okay. What should I have some differently?

And now, should I just put on another coat or will it happen again? 

Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bluetooth

I'm sorry to hear that you've tannin staining pushing through your paint. I suggest using Zinsser 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker. Sand the timber gate lightly and wipe it off with a damp cloth to remove all the dust and debris. Put a minimum of two coats of the Zinsser primer. Please make sure that the first coat is totally dry before putting on the second coat. Wait for the primer to fully cure and then paint it with the regular paint you used on your fence. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

20221223_164955.jpg

 The latch on my gate has broken off. It was secured with two metal screws as can be seen in the picture. As you can imagine the metal screws do not hold that well now that they've sort of stripped the holes. Would anyone have any ideas on our I could secure this latch so that it will not come off again?

Hi @Bluetooth,

Typically those metal self-tappers would hold quite securely, so I'm surprised they've come out. Do you think you might have over-tightened them and partially stripped out the hole when installing them? It's important not to over-tighten and only snug them up tight. Also, did you use their self-tapping feature or pre-drill the holes for them?

I'd suggest your best options would be to move the latch's location, switch from self-tappers to bolts, or, if you knew anyone with a welder, wielding the latch to the steel gate would be the most secure fix.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects