Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of paint is best to use on exterior window trims and doors?

Emfrog
Growing in Experience

What type of paint is best to use on exterior window trims and doors?

Trying my hand at a painting project. Wanting to know what is the best exterior paint to use for outside doors and trims. Looking for something UV and mould resistant. Ultimately want to tint the base colour. This is a little sample I tried. 

20220529_152556.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What type of paint is best to use on exterior window trims and doors?

Hi @Emfrog,

I typically suggest Dulux Weathershield as it is a premium self-priming exterior paint that is UV and mould resistant. It also has a wonderful warranty which covers you for the time you spend in that home. You also have thousands of colour choices which it can be tinted to.

If the surface you're painting is sound and not deteriorated, you just need to give it a wash down before painting over it. Check out this helpful guide: How to paint your exteriors.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Emfrog
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell,

I was able to have a chat to Dulux, and they recommended the Dulux Aquastain in a semi gloss which is mould resistant, to wash it down with sugar soap and to use a Dulux undercoat and primer. 

Is this ok?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Emfrog

The steps suggested by Dulux are also possible. However, using the Dulux Weathershield is a more cost-effective option as you will not need to buy a separate can of primer. Please make sure to read the recommended guide - How to paint your exteriors so that you'll be prepared before you start painting.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Emfrog
Growing in Experience

Awesome. Sounds good. I'll have a read and go from there! :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects