Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

automatic chicken coop door wiring help PLEASE

dani2526
Cultivating a Following

automatic chicken coop door wiring help PLEASE

Hi everyone 

I was hoping for some wiring help

with my auto chicken door please. 

I have copied my plans from another post on this page by Darryl. 

I have removed the sections I don’t need. 

I have 12volt power. The solar panel will keep the batteries charged. Volt meter to monitor power 

No solar control. I simply want the timer to open the door at a set time in the morning and to close the door at a set time at night. 

My confusion is regarding how I wire the relay. My understanding is:

COIL 14 + 13.

COMS 10 + 9. 

NO 6 + 5

NC 2 + 1

do I have the relay wired correctly please? 

My other problem is my micro switches. 

Again I have COM, NO and NC. From my understanding of Darryl’s plans I’m only using two of these connection points. Is that correct? If so what do I use? NO in COM out to relay? 

If someone could kindly help I would really appreciate it. 

I havent done this sort of stuff since about year 10 and I’m now 37. 

Ive included pictures of my timer and relay as well. I have picked everything to be 12v. 

I have two 6v batteries connected together. 

Thank you FADC4F8C-F1DA-4CE9-855E-4AC42D4F3842.jpeg

C800990E-076F-4302-BB01-9D50BA36CCF5.jpeg

959D7738-0AD5-48AD-80F5-C608DB695028.jpeg

AFE9539C-048E-4CAF-B613-3F893A3DCBC3.jpeg

My plansMy plans

Darryl’s plans I copiedDarryl’s plans I copied

dani2526
Cultivating a Following

Re: automatic chicken coop door wiring help PLEASE

Need help please. I have everything wired correctly. But I am having issues with the timers. They state they are 12v. But I am not receiving power. I know as the light doesn’t switch on. 

I have two 6v batteries wiredin sequence. The voltage meter shows 12.5v so that’s cool. If I remove the timers from the wiring the motor turns. 

I must have the wrong timer. Can someone please look and suggest. 53805F91-125F-465D-982A-EFD97105CD95.png

17831259-7251-4FF9-A61F-FB5752AA81B2.png

image.jpg

image.jpg

left: power from timer. 2nd from left: motor. 3rd from left: power from battery. Power to timer switch. 4th from left: neg from batteryleft: power from timer. 2nd from left: motor. 3rd from left: power from battery. Power to timer switch. 4th from left: neg from battery

image.jpg

dani2526
Cultivating a Following

I forgot to draw in the limit switches. The motor only receives power when a timer is on. 

Down timer: I’ve got power positive from the timer to positive on the motor. Negative from battery to negative on motor. 

Up timer: I’ve got power positive from the timer to negative on the motor. 

Negative from battery to positive on the motor. 

Limit switches on both wires from timer to motor so when switch hit power stops. Timer will then switch to off. 

The opposite timer will then switch on when programmed until the opposite limit switch is hit. Power will then be broken. The timer will then switch off. 

I HAVE WORKED OUT THE TIMER PROBLEM!!!!!  I HAD THEM INCORRECTLY WIRED. NEVER FOLLOW ASIAN DIRECTIONS 😂 Im having problems with the timers. It says 12v but they aren’t receiving power when hooked to the battery. When I switch them to auto or on the light does not activate telling me a connection has been made. 

Can you help? I’ve posted pictures etc in the main thread Using com and ncUsing com and nc

dani2526
Cultivating a Following

The motor is a reversible DC motor 

dani2526
Cultivating a Following

I HAVE WORKED OUT THE TIMERS. I HADTHEM WIRED INCORRECTLY. I USED YOUTUBE AND THEY ARE NOW WORKING. I also have this timer but I’m confused as to how to wire it

image.jpg

image.jpg

dani2526
Cultivating a Following

Ok so individually wired the motor and timers work the way I had designed. But once both timer are connected. It doesn’t work. I have to have a relay. 

Im still struggling to understand how to wire the relay as per Daryl’s design. I think I MAY have it worked out. 

Im struggling to understand what the numbers on the design relate to in terms of com, no, nc. 

Attached is Daryl’s design and my interruption. 

God if this is going to drive me mad!!!!1FAD9972-9B87-4E9C-96E0-ADCAF2E71578.png

image.jpg

dani2526
Cultivating a Following

DPDT RELAY HELP PLEASE

I desperately need help with wiring a relay please. 

Ive tried many different options with and without the relay but I can’t get around it. 

I have a design I am using by poster Daryl. Auto chicken coop door. He’s works so I know the design works. 

I’m struggling to understand how the numbers on Daryl’s relay correlate to COM, NO, NC. 

MAY have worked it out. Attached is Daryl’s design and my (not very good) design. 

Ive also included pictures of my relay. 

7BD9A917-D945-40EE-9B96-7F5E5ACB2679.png

05130997-3327-4038-BF63-5C3C528920C5.png

B203CD1D-5F00-4061-8A1A-ED41DB3F9024.png

I hope someone can help. This is going to drive me MAD! 

Thank you!!!! 😀😀😀😊

F11521AA-941B-4EBC-8611-FEE1210F765B.png

484ACBCD-C419-4333-A089-685E86C78565.png

image.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great advice @ned, many thanks for joining in the discussion. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It sounds as if you have a great deal of knowledge and experience that you can share with the community, and hopefully you can help @dani2526 a little further as it seems she is getting very frustrated! 

I look forward to reading about your own projects and plans. Thanks again for joining us.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dani2526
Cultivating a Following

Hey Thanks for replying. I think I need to go back to Daryl’s plans. 

I need only one timer then. The relay will switch the motor from forward to reverse

(I have purchased a reversible 12v geared DC motor)

If only the designDaryl drew had COM, NC and NO labeled instead of the numbers I would be able to wire it. I also need to work out if I have the switches wired correctly. I have them wired BAT - COM - NO - MOTOR. This worked perfectly when I ran each unit independently to the motor. When the switch was hit the motor stopped. But I’m not sure if that’s the correct wiring when adding the relay to switch the motors direction. 

God I wish I could ask Daryl!!! We know his works. He would know. 

Ill be so greatful if you can help. I’ve included Daryl’s plans again. If you’re able to tell me what is NO, NC and COM on the relay and switches I think we will have this baby working! 

(That’s if I’m understanding this correctly. I do finance not electronics - well not since yr6 and I’m 37 now 😂

Daryl’s awesome plans.Daryl’s awesome plans.

My understanding of how a relay works.My understanding of how a relay works.

I just would like to remove the light sensor and the LED lights. 

My power will be 12v solar charged batteries. 

Thsnk you thank you thank you 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@royq

Just wondering whether you might be able to help @dani2526 with her project? I know you said electrical wasn't your strength, but you are probably being modest!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
royq
Having an Impact

@Jason

Hey mate, no I'm out of my depth there, I'm more familiar with simpler 12V things like lights and switches in my 4wd and boat. When I'm stuck with a project like this one I take it to my auto electrician friend on a saturday with a 6 pack and see how he's going, he usually ends up feeling sorry for me and fixing it up and I leave the beers there :smile: 

@dani2526, is 2526 your postcode? If so, drop in to Autowise at Unanderra, they're my go to for advice for any 12V electrical stuff.

Sorry can't offer much help.

Cheers, Roy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects