Ask a question

Deck ledger options and advice please

jays2007
Growing in Experience

Deck ledger options and advice please

  

7F3A5EBF-6576-4507-9FB5-278E347A9C2F.jpeg

7F647A1F-3E1F-4C94-9F1E-CCB3B8359982.jpeg

49BF2A03-10B9-4E71-BA7C-7B85BFE28050.jpeg

Hi everyone, was planning to build a deck onto the back of our new house at ground level. It’s going to be approx 6m wide and 5m deep. 

I was wondering what options I have on how to attach a deck ledger onto the concrete slab (I assume attaching to house is better than additional footings). The cladding is Hardiplank. Some photos attached to get an idea.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: deck ledger options/advice please

Hi @jays2007,

Welcome to the community. We are looking forward to seeing your decking project completed - it should be a great addition to your home. 

Low-level decks have certainly been a popular topic of conversation in recent times. Do make sure you have a search for some of our previous discussions on the topic as you might pick up some helpful advice. 

Here's a few examples:

I will also tag some helpful members who might like to kick off the discussion - @Brad@ProjectPete@Adam_W   

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Ledger on fixed structure is a good way to go @jays2007. In your case it's going to require cutting into/away some of the Hardieplank.

• Use minimum 100mm but ideally 125mm galvanised/stainless steel anchors (accounts for the 45mm timber).
  • Make sure you leave some spacing between your timber ledger and the concrete/fixture - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Outdoor/Decking-frame-ledger-spacing/m-p/33669#M4550
  • Remember to have adequate spacing under your deck (ie. 300mm for timber) to allow airflow to remove moisture from the underside of your deck.

Keen to see the final product 😀

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
jays2007
Growing in Experience

Thanks @ProjectPete, how would you cut the Hardieplank out?

@jays2007 first just make sure there's no chance of it being asbestos-based board. Anything installed post late '80's should be safe.

Neat cuts to set something in can be tricky but just take time and you'll have no trouble. Most of these type of boards can be cut with a handsaw (but it will mess the saw up so don't use your best saw...), a suitable blade fitted to a reciprocating saw or a suitable blade on an angle grinder. Handsaw and recipro can be tricky if you don't have clear access.
If going the grinder option use extreme care and make sure you wear breathing protection. There may not be asbestos in new board but there are other elements that can cause lung diseases.
Once you've cut through you'll need to be very careful about removing the waste section so that you don't damage the boards that will remain. Just gently pry them off with a crowbar. You may also need to nail or screw the ends that are remaining where you've cut.
Hope this all makes sense and is of some help!

jays2007
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Adam_W, it’s a brand new build.. I think I’ll go with the angle grinder option with a diamond tipped blade or similar.. This should get me started....

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects