Workshop
Ask a question

How to anchor a shed on a balcony?

kiv777
Finding My Feet

How to anchor a shed on a balcony?

Hi,

I would like to build a shed for my balcony and would like to know how to anchor it without drilling holes (due to strata). I was thinking of using some type of adhesive such as liquid nails to attach it to the brick wall instead. Attached is the image of where I want to build it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

20220806_103808.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to anchor a shed on a balcony?

Hello @kiv777

Thanks for sharing your question about anchoring your shed to your balcony. Since the strata will not allow you to drill into the concrete, I suggest building a heavy timber base that you can anchor your shed onto. Depending on what shed you choose PVC or steel both can be anchored to the base. I've placed a sample sketch of how you can build the base.

It is made of 200 x 50mm 3m Treated Pine Sleeper H4, each sleeper has an approximate weight of 24kg. Using two and a half sleepers will give you a base weight of at least 60kg+ of weight holding power. If you still wish to put more weight on the base you can line the inside of the shed with Adbri Masonry 200 x 200 x 40mm Charcoal Mypave Paver, each paver weighs 4.5 kg, filling a square meter of floor space will require 25 pavers that will give you an equivalent weight of 112.5kg.

I suggest using Zenith 14G x 100mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws - 25 Pack to join the sleepers together. I recommend using heavy-duty angle brackets to anchor the shed to the base. However, if the shed comes with its own anchoring set use that instead. Please note that the base model is for reference only, make sure to adjust its measurements to your needs.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your shed assembled and ready for use.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects