Workshop
Ask a question

How to seal stenciled concrete?

Cathet
Just Starting Out

How to seal stenciled concrete?

Over 10yrs ago we had our concrete deck extended and stenciled. We use a handyman out of the local rag - never do this. The concrete still leeches colour even after pressure washing. Someone told us we need to seal it. But I'm not sure what to use. Advise will be gratefully recieved.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to seal stenciled concrete

Hi @Cathet,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist. I'm sorry that you didn't have a great experience with your stencilled concrete. Stencilling is a colouring added to the surface of the concrete and it will discolour and leech out if it is not sealed correctly. If the sealer was not applied correctly, or not at all, you can certainly fix the issue now.

I would advise giving the area a thorough cleaning with a pressure washer and allowing it to dry completely. You don't want any discolouration, contaminants or moisture left in the concrete. Any contaminants will be permanently trapped beneath the sealer making them very difficult to remove later and can compromise the finished result.

Some excellent products designed specifically to be used over stencilled concrete are the Crommelin surface treatments. These products are available through our Special Orders desk at your local store and are of a very high-quality. Here's a handy specifications document on the preparation and application of Crommelin sealers.

Please let me know if you need further advice or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects