Workshop
Ask a question

Building low-level deck over concrete and paving

Shaneo
Finding My Feet

Building low-level deck over concrete and paving

Hi I am looking to build a deck 6m x 6m it will be over a exposed concrete footpath as well as paving. I only have 130mm of height to build with as I was hoping to build over the concrete and pavers . I was looking get advice on footings and  timber for sub structure type of timber sizes and centres. I'm open to all options and opinions I'm looking at using spotted gum decking 136mm x 19mm .

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Building low-level deck over concrete and paving

Hi @Shaneo,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you'll receive loads of helpful advice and inspiration from our members for this project and many others to come in the future. 

Would you be able to share some photos of the area so members can see what you are working with? And perhaps a basic sketch of what you are planning?

A great place to start is our guide How to build a low-level deck by experienced member @Adam_W. Adam might also like to share his thoughts about your approach. Let me also tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL who will be happy to assist as soon as possible.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: low level deck

Hello @Shaneo

Thank you for sharing your question about building a low-level deck.

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @Jason. His recommendation of reading @Adam_W's guide on How to build a low-level deck is a good place to start when planning your deck. It is a very good guide with a lot of information you will need to consider before putting saw to wood. I recommend sketching your plan on paper. I suggest using an online decking calculator if you wish to see a quick sample of your framework.   

Every state has its own rules regarding building a deck. I strongly advise you to check the rules and regulations in your area. It sounds like a great project. Please keep us updated.

Here is a link to a low-level deck build that used a pedestal system: Low profile deck with screening and steps

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular deck projects

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Shaneo
Finding My Feet

Hi 

Thanks for the feedback Jason and Eric I will add a photo and sketch of the area in the pic you can see I have just finished concreting a garden bed which the deck will go over I have done some heights and think I have between 100mm and 190mm to build with with the different levels and falls off the paving and concrete also looking for idea's on weed control over the paving I  have done some research on the substructure and think I will probably use a 90 x 45 mm treated pine with some form of joist support where needed .Thanks 

20210804_154622.jpg

20210804_155318.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the extra detail @Shaneo.

Let me tag @Adam_W to see if he might like to share his thoughts on your plan.

@EricL will also be happy to assist further when he is back on the site on the weekend.

Jason

Howdy @Shaneo looks like a great project for increasing your lifestyle space!
I don't know if you're familiar with it but there's a fantastic modular decking system called Good Times.
I'm wondering if that might be a good option for you and then you just add your preferred decking over the framework? Perhaps even just using their adjustable support system to take the timber frame you build yourself?
If you need to keep the height down these are very useful and super-stable especially in a situation such as yours where you already have a good, solid surface beneath.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Shaneo

Thank you so much for the update. It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @Adam_W. I totally agree with his recommendation of exploring the option of using the Good Times Framing. Modules can be easily joined and sit on a variety of adjustable support components to enable retrofitting into any existing area without digging any holes. 

Here is a handy link about Good Times Framing: Good Times Decking

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the start of your deck assembly.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects