Workshop
Ask a question

How to sand back paint on trims?

amy2
Getting Established

How to sand back paint on trims?

Hi fellow reno's,

I am starting on a project. Sanding back flaking paint on window/wardrobe trims. These are the tools am using. Plus have electric sander to do tougher jobs.

20200608_125737.jpg

20200608_125727.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: any advice on Sanding back paint on trims?

Welcome to the Workshop community @amy2.

Are there any particular issues you are having with the sanding process that we can assist with?

On those detailed trims, you will find it difficult to remove all of the paint especially in the corners of the trims. In order to repaint the area, you do not need to remove all of the paint just the damaged and flaking portions of it. Once the flaking paint is removed and sanded smooth, you can apply an undercoat that will seal and bind the rest of the existing paint.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
amy2
Getting Established

Thank you Mitchell. I am almost done with all the trims. Next step will be the undercoat. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @amy2,

It's great to hear you've made progress on your window and wardrobe trims. We can't wait to see your finished project as you are certainly taking all the right steps to ensure you get a fantastic finish.

Please let me know if you need any advice on painting the trims or if you had any questions.

Mitchell

amy2
Getting Established

Just a question. If I don't remove all the flaking paint, won't there be a distinct marking when re-paint. Won't be even in some places? I am pretty much able to peel off the flaking paint. 

20200814_165447.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @amy2

Any paint that can just be peeled off needs to be removed as it is not bonded to the underlying layers sufficiently. If you can feel the edge of the paint with your finger and it has a thickness to it then use you will notice the transitions after applying additional coats of paint. If you can't remove all the paint then I would certainly sand those transitions to minimise them showing through after recoating. There is a range of sanding sponges that can assist in getting into those tight to reach and profiled areas.

Once you apply an undercoat and then two topcoat layers many of the underlying defects will be hidden. 

Mitchell

amy2
Getting Established

Thank you Mitchell that answer makes sense. Really appreciate the support! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@amy2,

Support and advice it what we are here for.

We're looking forward to seeing your amazing results as you're doing a fantastic job.

Mitchell

amy2
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell,

...still working on the paint. At the moment I am working on the trims on my back door.

I've been using 120grit sand paper. Have been suggested to use 180grit also. Which one is best for the job?

How will I know when it's smooth enough to apply the undercoat?

Thanks,

Amy

20201031_130319.jpg

20201031_130300.jpg

20201031_130256.jpg

20201031_130248.jpg

20201031_130237.jpg

20201031_130230.jpg

20201031_130227.jpg

20201031_130218.jpg

20201031_130210.jpg

20201031_130202.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@amy2,

120 grit sandpaper will remove material faster and 180 grit will leave fewer visible scratch marks in the timber/coating. If you were to only apply a topcoat over the sanded areas then I would suggest 180 grit or even 240 grit so the sanding marks don't show through it. Since you are going to undercoat before the topcoat I think 120 grit will be fine.

A good way to tell is to run your fingers over the area. If you can feel the transitions between areas then it is likely to show through a single coat of paint. As mentioned this can be overcome by addition undercoats or two topcoats.

If you have some undercoat it might be worth doing a small test area and seeing how visible the sanding marks are through it.

I want to also congratulate you on your perseverance. I think you are doing a fantastic job. Most people would have just painted over it and had their coating fail in a matter of years.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects