Workshop
Ask a question

How to sand back paint on trims?

amy2
Getting Established

How to sand back paint on trims?

Hi fellow reno's,

I am starting on a project. Sanding back flaking paint on window/wardrobe trims. These are the tools am using. Plus have electric sander to do tougher jobs.

20200608_125737.jpg

20200608_125727.jpg

  

amy2
Getting Established

Re: any advice on Sanding back paint on trims?

Thanks very much for the advice! 

amy2
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell,

Still on this project.....

Can you direct me towards any tutorials on this Bunnings workshop site that could offer me advice for applying undercoat?

Thanks so much

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear from you @amy2!

You might like to read through this step-by-step guide: How to paint like a professional. It touches briefly on applying undercoats. However, applying an undercoat is much the same procedure as painting. 

If you'd like to post some pictures of the surfaces you are planning on undercoating, I'd be happy to provide advice tailored to your project. The most important choice is likely what type of undercoat you'll use. Recently I've been using Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White on any surface that has more than a low-sheen to it. Traditionally you'd need to scuff up or remove any gloss paint before undercoating. This new product will adhere to the gloss surface with only a slight sanding. For a general-purpose undercoat, I go with Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat.

I look forward to seeing some updated images of the project and providing further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nanne
Cultivating a Following

Hi MichellMc

Is there a power tool that can be used for sanding trims, corners, skirting boards? I have Ozito 1/2 sheet sander and Ozito detail sander. The details sander is just a little bit too big for skirting boards etc.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nanne,

A Multi Function tool with a sanding attachment would likely be the next size down from a detail sander. The tool is longer, but the sanding pad is smaller, allowing you to get into tighter spaces. We have the Ozito 300W Multi Function Tool and Ozito PXC 18V Multi Function Tool if you want to stay within the Ozito range.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects