Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any idea to level up the floor?

Fatsquare
Growing in Experience

Any idea to level up the floor?

I have about 4.3m*3.7m living area concrete base need to level up about 9mm height in order to lay laminated floor. Any idea to do it, plywood flooring or floor leveller?

Which is budget and easy way to do the job. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Any idea to level up the floor?

Hi @Fatsquare

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about leveling up your floor.

The first thing that comes to mind is the 2400 x 1200mm 9mm Plywood F8 Pine Structural CD Grade. However, there is also the 2400 x 1200mm 9mm MDF Panel Standard. Both are 9mm thick, but the plywood is costlier. Based on the measurements you've provided 4.3m x 3.7m you will need to cover an area of 15.91 SQ2. A single sheet at 2.4 x 1.2 will cover an area of 2.88 SQ2. You will need approximately 6 sheets to cover the entire area.

My number one tip for your project is to make sure to use an adhesive that is rated for timber to concrete surface use. You'll need flexibility as the timber will shrink and swell with the weather. It sounds like a fantastic floor upgrade, any photo updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @tom_builds for their recommendations. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Fatsquare
Growing in Experience

Thanks for your prompt responses. Mdf look like a good budget option for me. Leveller is out becuase it may be a little more work than MDF to have the jod done.  As for the adhesive, Is it any construction liquid nail( adhesive mdf to concrete) is Ok for the project? 

Hi @Fatsquare,

You could use a construction adhesive, but it might be an idea to spread it evenly around with a DTA Australia 4mm V-Notch Bright Steel Trowel. If you squeeze it out of the caulking tube without spreading, you'll likely end up with lumps and wavy MDF boards.

You'll also need a vapour barrier if you are laying laminate flooring over concrete. Any moisture in the concrete will travel through your MDF and into the laminate flooring otherwise.

I don't believe you actually need to adhere the sheets down. You could lay your vapour barrier onto the concrete floor first, then the MDF sheets and then your laminate flooring. It's a floating laminate system and doesn't need to be fixed, so I see no reason why the MDF would need to be either. I prefer the vapour barrier goes down first to protect the MDF from moisture too.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Fatsquare
Growing in Experience

16421370664792496148878529398835.jpg

 Today I bought 1 sample 1200mm* 600mm  9mm MDF Panel Standard and found it perfect match the level.. so I wound like to get more to have the job done..

But one question is: 

The 2400 x 1200mm 9mm MDF Panel Standard panel I want to buy is $30.45/ panel in store. But bunnings online showing : $26.5/panel.. that brand is same and size is the same... But price is difference... I ask the store staff, they have no idea...

IMG_20220114_142439.jpg

Screenshot_2022-01-14-16-02-03-239_com.android.chrome.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Fatsquare

I'm glad that the MDF panel is working out for you. To make sure you are getting the product you are looking at, look carefully at the i/n or item number. Make sure to show this to the team member who is placing the order for you. If it is on the current website and it says $26.50 that is the price they will have to sell it at. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your revamped floors.

Eric

Hi @Fatsquare,

The MDF sheet I/N 0590024 is not available in your state.  The supplier in your area has the I/N 0590056. That's the reason for the difference in price that you are seeing. If you set your local store on the Bunnings website it will only show you the products available in your location and you'll avoid these discrepancies. I suspect you have a NSW store selected and that's why it's bringing up the wrong product for you. However, that's all really irrelevant, but I thought I'd mention it to stop confusion in the future. You've seen an identical product advertised on the website for a lower price and I'm sure the store manager would be happy to match that for you. 

Please let me know if you run into any issues.

Mitchell

Fatsquare
Growing in Experience

IMG_20220120_191318.jpg

IMG_20220129_212630.jpg

Thank you for your information. They matched price for me. It is perfect level. And now laminy floor is applied. Looking good. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Fatsquare

Thank you so much for posting an update. That looks very nicely done. It's great to hear that the MDF panels levelled your floor and you got them at a good price. Did you use glue or did you just lay it out on the floor? Your new laminated floor looks fantastic, I'm sure our members will be keen to see it once it's fully assembled. It looks like you've mastered the installation of the laminate flooring. But if you have any questions we can help out with, please don't hesitate to post them.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your flooring project complete.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects