Workshop
Ask a question

How to build this barn door with Bunnings materials?

ColetteP
Just Starting Out

How to build this barn door with Bunnings materials?

Hi,

I'm looking to ask my husband (or perhaps my builder) to try to create/replicate the timber barn door in this picture as I can't seem to find anything similar to purchase.   I just love the look of the timber and the plain and simple design.  I need the barn door to be approx 2100mm high x 900mm wide. Does anyone have any ideas/hacks as to how we might go about this using Bunnings materials?  barn door2.jpg 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Barn Door - Could this beautiful door be replicated with Bunnings materials?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ColetteP. It's wonderful to have you join us and we are looking forward to seeing what you can create. I'm sure you will get some great ideas from our community members. 

Normally I would ask the ever-helpful @MitchellMc to assist but he is taking a well-earned break at the moment. Let me tag some other members who might like to share their thoughts in the meantime: @ProjectPete, @Peggers, @woodenwookie, @mattoharae 

You might also get some inspiration and information from these projects shared previously by other community members:

Hope that helps get you started. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Barn Door - Could this beautiful door be replicated with Bunnings materials?

Hi @ColetteP

If there is nothing in our barn door range that takes your fancy, I'm sure we can create a door similar to your image. I'd recommend starting with a Hume Doors & Timber 2100 x 920 x 35mm Blockboard Flush Exterior Door. You can then glue strips of Porta 40 x 5mm 2.4m Tasmanian Oak Moulding Rounded Edge Coverstrap over the door's face to create the panelled look. You might also find a sheeting in our Easycraft VJ range that could be used.

You could also consider using a timber finished door like the InBuilt 25mm 2100 x 1000mm Flush Barn Door Natural Wood and routing grooves similar to your inspiration image.

I'll be keen to follow your project and look forward to seeing what you can achieve.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects