Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DETA Smart Switch Mechanism for 3 way switch?

n860cr
Growing in Experience

DETA Smart Switch Mechanism for 3 way switch?

I'm looking to pickup up a whole lot of these DETA smart switches (https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-smart-switch-mechanism_p0346912) as they don't need a neutral wire (and the old part of my house doesn't have one). The hallway has a 3 way switch (one switch at either end) and I'm looking to see if anyone knows if these switches are compatible? I know other Grid Connect switches don't support 3 way switching. 

The flickering issue is real and annoying.... however I've gotten around it by using one Grid Connect candle globe in the 5 globe chandelier. The WIFI component of the globe must be enough to stop the LED flicker. 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: DETA Smart Switch Mechanism for 3 way switch?

I have never heard a Intermediate refered to a change over switch this is typically reserved to a din mount change over or IP66 switch or intergrated into switchboards for commercial or larger, maybe its another state thing intermediate is an intermediate in any wholesalers I've ever walked into.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Wait,

You say you don't need a neutral conductor?, so how is this wired to the lamp(s)?

You have to have a Neutral to take the current back to the supply otherwise it will not work.

Or are you talking about an Earth conductor?

As in a Black neutral wire, as opposed to a Green/Yellow Earth conductor.

Could you please clarify what you mean?

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

OK,

Are you an Electrician?

What the Intermediate switch does with the switch toggle up, the two straps continue through as they are normally wired.

When the switch is flipped down, the contacts swap from A1 to B2 and A2 to B1, effectively transposing the two straps.

This turns the light on and off from that point.

Like I said, you can have any number of these switches between the start and end switches.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Yes I am Mike of many years and many fields of experience and I'll think I'll kindly leave this conversation here, appreciate the chat.

Carl

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Just so you know,

This is a double pole change-over switch, not a single pole type, which would not effect the correct switching.

n860cr
Growing in Experience

Gave up on the Deta switches in the end and returned them. Real shame there's not a Grid Connect compatible switch for this setup (which I think would be very common in Australian homes). Wasn't a total loss for Bunnings as I picked up another smart switch for the newer part of the house (where there is a neutral wire). So much easier!

For the hallway, I've gone with a setup from SAL Pixie (https://www.sal.net.au/products/smart-controls-and-electrical-accessories/smart-lighting-controls/SW...) with its matching multi-function switch. Straight swap from the existing setup (took the electrician about 2 minutes) and the two switches pair via bluetooth. Basically does exactly what I wanted the Deta ones to do (one is the actual switch, the other just triggers it using a "scene"). Only annoyance is that they need a $400 gateway to work with Google. Haven't bothered with the gateway as I basically just wanted to be able to set a daily schedule (which they can do via bluetooth) so it's good enough. Unless I end up replacing more in the house...... 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Nice @n860cr great that you have it sorted how you need it and that's the main thing.

That explains all.. very informative…👌👌👌 #gotcha #excellent #bravo #winner #dummyswitchthatworks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @n860cr

Many thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that you got your hallway lighting issue sorted out. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Thanks @EricL ,

Are we getting confused here in terms?

Americans (which most YouTube videos are about this sort of thing) call what we call a 2 way lighting circuit, a 3 way lighting circuit.

Us Down-Under call a lighting circuit that has a switch at two ends of a hallway a 2 way lighting circuit.

If it has an Intermediate switch in the middle somewhere, it is known as a 2 way + Intermediate circuit, not a 3 way circuit.

Is there somewhere where I could draw these diagrams out, to show people, not how they should be wired, that would invite folks to do

illegal electrical work, but to explain how the wiring works, to save some confusion here.

Your thoughts?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects