Workshop
Ask a question

How to clean a dirty old air-conditioner?

elly1
Cultivating a Following

How to clean a dirty old air-conditioner?

Any suggestions on what I can do to clean up this old air-conditioner? It's about 18 years old, works fine. Due to budget I don't really want to replace until it dies. Ive tried cleaning it but it's like smoke stained.  Can I spray it with a paint designed for plastic, like Rust Oleum?  I'll be repainting the wall in the near future 

IMG20191010172530.jpg

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Dirty old air-conditioner

I don't see any way of painting it unless you can get the cover off @elly1. Otherwise you are going to be damaging the air con's internal mechanisms by painting them... 

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @elly1 - it looks like the head unit of a split system? Have you looked to see how much dismantling you can do? See if you can remove the grill (??) at the front? It’s certainly possible to spray it, but you’d need to do surface prep, and as @Isobel suggests, we don’t want paint going into the unit, cheers Deb

elly1
Cultivating a Following

Finally did it! So easy and looks like new. 

IMG_20200102_122043.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great job @elly1. Many thanks for sharing. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Well done @elly1. How did you do it? 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

@elly1 

That does look good.  You said it was so easy....  but, for the sake of those following the thread ... how did you end up doing it please?

DaveLee
Finding My Feet

Hi Elly

I think I would just try wiping it with a cloth dampened in a Sugar Soap solution. Sugar soap is available at supermarkets and hardware shops and is usually used to clean walls prior to painting, so you'll probably need to get some for when you paint the walls in the near future. I usually turn off electrical things if I am going to use a damp cloth on them, just to be on the safe side. 

If you are feeling adventurous you could see if the air filter inside is easily accessible with a screw driver. I understand that cleaning the filters enhances the efficiency of the air conditioner. Maybe you could just ask at an electrician's workplace, without actually paying them to do it, or see if there's a manual that came with the unit. Otherwise you can search for it on line, like " manual for Westinghouse model *** " or whatever it is.

Best of luck,

Dave

ferg
Finding My Feet

How did you do it please as I want to do ours? Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ferg. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this project.

Let me mention @elly1, so they are alerted to your question, and hopefully, they can provide some more information on how they completed this project.

I'd recommend turning off the unit and then cleaning it down with some Sugar soap. You can then prep the surfaces with ESP. After the ESP has dried, I'd suggest coating the unit with White Knight Squirts

As mentioned in the comments above, you want to ensure no spray enters the unit. If possible remove the grill and spray it separately. You should be fine to spray the rest of the chassis in situ as long as you cover the surrounding walls and floor. 

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects