Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dodgy work, ripping people off

Trusted Contributor

Dodgy work, ripping people off

I pride myself on the quality of my work, always. My business slogan is "We treat your home like it's our own."

It infuriates me when I come across dodgy work by businesses clearly not giving a sh*t and ripping their customers off.

This is a job I had to fix up for a customer (just 2 pics). What's worse is; my quote came in only $250 (4%) more than the quote they went with. Even after showing my work, giving guarantees, etc (which the other business didn't provide) they still wanted to save $250 - fair enough.

They've then had to call me after not only getting the dodgy work done, but the business refused to fix it. So it's cost them more in the long run, even more than my original quote.

20190704_140951.jpg

20190704_140728.jpg

Remember! Always look into the businesses you hire. Ask to see their work. Look for reviews. And remember that cheap quotes usually result in cheap (dodgy) work.

#rantover

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @homeprojectco
Super Contributor

Re: Dodgy work, ripping people off

@ProjectPete I am so glad you brought this matter up. As a Tradie like you quality has always been number one. Your reputation stands before the quality and service provided.

To often a client goes with the cheapest option without considering all the factors you mentioned.

Unfortunately it happens to often, but a little extra research can safe alot of money and heartache.

Thanks Pete👍

Regards Rob

Super Contributor

@ProjectPete  and @gippslandhome  - couldn’t agree more with the both of you. Too often people don’t have enough knowledge to make a good decision about who to employ for a job. Laminate flooring and floor re-polishing are 2 areas where getting a poor outcome is quite common. I’m experienced, I didn’t take the cheapest quote, and I got a poor outcome on my floor polishing - and I worked for Bunnos, was flooring/paint trained etc., so what hope does the average person have? Especially when times are a bit tough, and “saving” a few dollars is important.

The only consolation is, that these folk may have learnt their lesson, and you Pete, having rescued them, have educated them and hopefully their friends. However, people will be people, you can advise them on the best way to do something, many times they’ll take the cheaper option and 2 weeks later, they’d be back because they had a failure, that they had to fix - which usually involves twice as much work as doing it correctly in the first place.

Perhaps you two could start a thread on Finding/Employing a Tradie? Cheers Deb :smile:

Trusted Contributor

Great idea @Mathy - maybe @gippslandhome and I can do a bit of a collab.

I'm not happy with the finish on my polished concrete. Frustratingly I was going to do it myself but decided to contract someone for thousands of dollars to save some time amongst everything else I was doing on my newly built home. Ironically, it's the only finish I'm not happy with and it's the only one I didn't do. I'm holding them accountable though and have them coming round to rectify in the coming weeks.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @homeprojectco
Super Contributor

G'day @ProjectPete and @Mathy 

I think this problem has been going on since technology first began.

You can imagine when someone ordered the latest design rounded wheel as an upgrade from the previous square model only to fine on delivery they received a triangle wheel instead🤣🤣🤣🤣

As funny as that sounds the stress, frustration, legal battles and squillions of dollars wasted on people who just do not have the qualifications or proper skills.

I remember in Darwin one time tiling a heap of houses (floor wall tiling).

At lunch the painters, older guys we knew asked us how much on average we earn a week. They couldn't believe their ears and you could see the dollar sign flashing in their eyes.

This now is the point of our whole discussion right here.

Three weeks later we were going into one of the higher end market housing areas.

Who did we see walking into this brand new home being built with tile cutters and glue mixers in hand???  You guessed it. Our Ole mates the painter.

I won't go into the nightmare after that job, but it was their last one.

My point is how do we govern this problem when we have trade schools, certain licensed trades and government bodies who are supposed to monitor this.

Unfortunately we can't but I do believe we can perhaps on this forum create a page with some very professional advice in the form of suggestions on how to find a good tradie. The things to look out for ECT.

I think when we as members of the forum start perhaps offering personal suggestions on who and who not to pick it could get into legal issues and I'm sure we would be breaching the laws of this community.

Perhaps @Jason can throw some thoughts into this discussion as well so that if something was to be set up in this forum the ones involved would be suitably qualified by the bodies in control.

If I've gone on a tangent and am on the wrong track completely my apologies.

6 hours on the road yesterday and today dropping number 2 daughter of at the airport.

Not much sleep 😂😂😂

Kind regards Rob 👍

Super Contributor

@gippslandhome  @ProjectPete - well, the way I see it, people need some tips/education about finding the right person. What’s the going rate for a job?  How to arrive at a rough idea of the estimated cost?  What licenses required etc. How do you decide if a potential stubbie/tradie is safe - I have a friend who was **bleep** and assaulted due to contracting a random plumber to fix a tap - so for people on their own, this can be an issue, same for elderly people. Should one trust AirTasker? There’s a lot of points to cover, when you really think about it, much more complicated than it was, even 10 years ago, cheers Deb

Trusted Contributor

I have thought about offering services on Airtasker but looking at most of it being put my flat pack together for me jobs I have steered clear so far.
Super Contributor

@Mathy I really am so sorry to hear about your friend. That is just horrific.

I agree wholeheartedly with you concerns, but this problem is something that needs alot of investigation by the right people first.

There may already be one that I have missed on this site but I have always thought @Mathy @ProjectPete @Jason  if a registry was set up into bthe various building trades and only those chosen by the Bunnings Workshop Managers could be listed as contacts not to acquire jobs but to answer any questions direct.

Even this would have it's challenges due to legal issues. It's something that would require much thought and planning if it was set up.

Anyway good morning Community Members and have a great DIY day 😁

Kind regards Rob 👍

Community Manager
Community Manager

Morning all,

We don't have any plans to extend Workshop into a tradies register - our focus is on helping to build a community of interest so that people can learn and get inspiration from each other. 

Those looking for help with installation work might find the Bunnings In-Home Services helpful. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Super Contributor

Thank you for clarifying that @Jason .

The amount of legalities and the immense structure that would be needed would start pushing into Governmental agencies and the crossover would create havoc.

Appreciate the help Jason.

Kind Regards Rob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects