Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hardwood barn doors

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Hardwood barn doors

BCDEF8DA-D7B7-4EF2-ABE3-46951D8A485F.jpeg

D3866491-9599-4973-A8E2-D5240B4685FA.jpeg

This would have to be one of my favourite builds. I have always wanted to Build a barn door and now I have made one, I can’t wait to be building more.

Hanging the tracks is not a complex as it looks once you learn the heights and measurements.  The timber I used is called Silver Top

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hardwood Barn Doors

That looks incredible, @LePallet!

I can see why it is one of your favourite builds as you've really achieved a spectacular level of finish. What were the dimensions of the Silver Top you've used? I trust our members would love to see any construction images if they were available.

Many thanks for sharing, and I'm sure you'll be receiving plenty of questions from our members on how they too can build something similar.

Great work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

A0FC22C2-1537-4A96-83C5-9180B76B55D5.jpeg

Thanks @MitchellMc 

i thought about wanting to use Tasmanian Oak but I was after 14mm tongue and groove.

In this case the door needed to one piece as so I made two doors, then when I hung them I joined the doors from the back making it all slide as 1.

2.3m high and 2.0m wide:

To make the door I used 130mm x 14mm tongue and groove. I run a bead of glue along each groove and joined the whole door together with clamps leaving to dry over night.

Next step was to cut the door square to the correct height which I used an ozuto plunge saw, but a simple circular saw along a straight edge works fine. ( another way is cutting the correct lengths from the start before glue up, but things never goes to plan and may never line up square.)

For the top layer frame I  also used the 14mm silver top tongue and grove, but I cut down both sides of timber removing the grooves and leaving a nice square edge making it 115mm wide. I glued and fixed all the planks with a brad nailer. Which I also nailed from the back as well. I didn’t want to use screws as I didn’t want to see so many holes which I then would have to putty 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Fantastic job, @LePallet!

Many thanks for the construction image and the details of how you put it all together. It was ingenious thinking to use the tongue and groove as I trust it made the glue up all the easier.

Mitchell

andipleasance
Growing in Experience

Re: Hardwood barn doors

Awesome finish

hazesnow
Making a Splash

@LePallet that looks absolutely amazing, great job! ❤️❤️

I’m interested in doing a similar project, but a quick search on Bunnings website does not list Silver Top as a product?

TIA

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Symbister. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about this amazing project.

Let me mention @LePallet to see if he can let us know where the Silvertop Ash was sourced from.

You might like to check out our 130 x 19mm Tongue & Groove Standard Grade Victoria Stringybark Flooring for a similar look. If you have a chat with a helpful team member at your local store's Special Orders desk, they would be happy to show you what is available from our suppliers in your area. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Deborah_A
Just Starting Out

How much was your budget for this project? Looking at building a barn door for a storage area on our lower level. TIA

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Deborah_A

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about building your own barn doors.

Let me tag @LePallet to make them aware of your question. Depending on availability and location prices for Silvertop Ash currently vary in price. If we were to base the calculation on their original choice of 110 x 19mm x 2.4m Tasmanian Oak Dressed All Round DAR Select Grade as an example. You would need an average of 12 pieces per door plus the cost of the barn door track set.

Here is a link to one of our featured projects on barn doors: Barn-style door for backyard studio by @DIYgals

Please keep us updated, we would love to see your barn doors when you begin your project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects