Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I learn to use tools safely and learn skills without knowing a tradie?

Kath1
Getting Established

How do I learn to use tools safely and learn skills without knowing a tradie?

I want to renovate my house. It is an unfinished time capsule from 2016 when my husband left. I know no one. I can only afford to do the work myself. Why aren't Bunnings running workshops anymore?

I've tried joining a Men's Shed but can't coz I'm a woman. Please help. Don't want to resort to dating a Builder with Benefits. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I learn to use tools safely and learn skills without knowing a tradie?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kath1. We're so pleased to have you join us and are really passionate about wanting to help you build your D.I.Y. skills and confidence so you can improve your home. You'll note that we have many wonderful and inspiring members in the community sharing inspiring projects, including @Tara86@2Belindas@She_Skills and @prettyliving. Check out their stories in our About Us section as many are self-taught and were a similar situation to you not long ago. 

Apologies that we are not currently able to run D.I.Y. workshops within Bunnings stores. We certainly look forward to providing this service again as soon as possible. In the meantime, you might like to start by taking a look through our How To section as we have many easy-to-follow step-by-step articles labelled with their level of difficulty. Tackling a small project can really help build skills and confidence. The guides Essential hand tools for beginners and Essential power tools for beginners and beyond might also be a great starting point for what tools you might need. Of course there's also the Bunnings D.I.Y. Advice section with many step-by-step guides and videos on how to complete an incredibly wide variety of jobs around your house and garden.

We understand that it can feel overwhelming not knowing how or where to start. So we would encourage you to think about what room in your house most needs attention and what project in that room might be best to start with. Then you can share some photos and some detail about what you'd like to achieve, and our members will be more than happy to provide specific advice. Incredibly helpful members like @redracer01 and our very own @MitchellMc might even be able to create 3D rendered diagrams for you so you can better visualise what the end result might be. 

We're looking forward to seeing what you can achieve with some help from the Workshop community. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kath1
Getting Established

Re: How do I learn to use tools safely and learn skills without knowing a tradie?

Thanks Jason. I've checked out Bunnings vids on using handtools.  Some are only 30 secs long. I want to know how to use them safely. And actual trade techniques so I don't wreck expensive material or hurt myself. 

If I could, I'd enrol in a Cert 2 Construction at TAFE.  Just so I can learn how to fix my dodgy house. But can't afford to leave my day job. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear how keen you are to complete some D.I.Y. projects @Kath1!

As @Jason has mentioned, we'd be more than happy to walk you through the process of completing your first project. Are there any areas that need fixing or improving around your home? 

I believe there are various Women's sheds popping up all around the place, so it might be worth checking those out. I know the Men's sheds in my area are very open to having women join and are certainly not as exclusive as they once were. It might also be worth enquiring with a TAFE near you if there were any evening courses available. Our team in-store are always happy to show you the safety equipment needed when using our tools.

I look forward to hearing more about what projects you would like to complete and assisting you on your D.I.Y. adventure.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kath1
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell,

There's a women's shed 70km from my house.  It's at Huonville. Hope one opens on the eastern shore soon. 

KevinMall
Making a Splash

Hi @Kath1

Sometimes you can strike gold with a google search starting with how to fix.....  Or how to repair........there are literally dozens if not hundreds of videos and you tube movies covering a vast array of jobs/tasks. Remember the vast majority of labour is often spent doing preparation work, so please don't let that put you off. One important safety tip .. please never work with power tools if fatigued/tired as this can severely affect and impact on your concentration levels. I know and it almost cost me my finger a month ago.

Kath1
Getting Established

Thanks for the advice :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects