Workshop
Ask a question

How do I repair and re-paint this glass panelled door?

Mike35
Getting Established

How do I repair and re-paint this glass panelled door?

Hi,

Our dog damaged one of our living room doors and i am wondering what products / tools people could recommend to get the job done, and any tips on how to fix it. I have a general grasp on how to fix it such as:

1. Sand whole door (one side)

2. Wood Filler.

3. Sand again.

4. Primer paint it?

5. Sand again.

6. Paint.

Just not sure on what i should be using in terms of primer, woodfiller, brushes, or if i should use a spray gun(i have a Bosch PFS55).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :smile:

:(:unhappy:Damaged Door 2.jpg

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I repair and re-paint this glass paneled door.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mike35. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I can relate to your situation as I used to own a dog which was a door eater. I believe my doors had more Builder Bog in them than actual timber at one stage.

You are on the right track with the method you have described.

• Sand back the area until all the timber fibres are flush with the surface.

• Apply Builders Bog over the area using a stiff piece of plastic or a scraper. Only fill the damaged portion and try not to apply an excess to the surface where it is not needed. You might like to do this in a couple of applications and sanding in between instead of just one thick coat. It will be easier to sand back this way.

•  You will then use a 3 in 1 primer and a topcoat of paint. There should not be a need to sand between these coats unless you feel the need or there is a rough surface. I would apply the primer and paint with a UNi-PRO 180mm Enamel Paint Roller Kit 5mm Nap to achieve a very smooth surface. You can use your spray gun if you would like, but you might find it a bit of effort to either remove the door to paint outside or having to lay drop sheets everywhere to avoid overspray. 

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have more questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mike35
Getting Established

Thank you Mitchell, will try this asap.

Would you recommend sanding and painting whole side of the damaged door? Or just the damaged section.

I have the exact paint still.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Mike35,

You can start by painting the damaged area and if the paint blends in well you can stop there. If you can still see the patch then continue to paint the whole door. I'd recommend painting the whole side of the door as I believe you will get a more consistent finish.

Mitchell

Mike35
Getting Established

Hey Mitchell,

Finally got around to doing this ahah.

All fixed, came up pretty good.

Thanks again.

Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but I figured it needed a bit of closure here!

20211023_181308.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

There are no issues resurrecting an old thread @Mike35, especially to update us with your results. Great job, that looks fantastic!

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects