Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an indoor bird enclosure?

PN
Having an Impact

How to build an indoor bird enclosure?

Hi All I am a total DIY novice. So reaching our to all the gurus in here for guidance. I have got a unusual project. We are wanting to build a L shaped enclosure in our living room for where we keep our pet cockatiels and budgies. The enclosure we are wanting is around waist high with a base running from two walls and intersecting in an L and a clear material waist high L shaped enclosure stting on the base. The aim is to prevent the seed debris etc from the birds rolling across the entire living room. I am wanting guidance on how build this. I am imaging two pieces intersecting in a L and then something other than glass forming the 'wall' of the enclosure. I have enclosed two photos of the area which we want to bound by the enslosure. I am probably not very clear in explaining what we are after so thanks in advance for the help.

Area to enclose ( the L )Area to enclose ( the L )Side view of the LSide view of the L

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Indoor Bird Enclosure

Hi Partha (@PN),

I'd suggest that you'd need a drill driver and a handsaw or circular saw

Depending on how far your birds throw their seed out of the cages, I would have thought that an enclosure made from a piece of 285 x 19mm x 2.4m Premium Grade Dressed Pine would capture 95% of debris. 285mm would be over half the height of the cage and if it setback away from the wall I don't see the birds throwing seed at that angle. That would certainly be easier to construct than the framed version I previously mentioned.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PN
Having an Impact

Hi Mitchell

thank you so much. This is very helpful and more manageable for a novice like me ! With from a piece of 285 x 19mm x 2.4m Premium Grade Dressed Pine to build the enclosure so saw the wood into two pieces ...

Thanks

Partha

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Partha (@PN),

There are no silly questions here and you're more than welcome to ask as many as you like. We're here to help.

@MitchellMc will be more than happy to assist when he's back on the site on Friday. Thanks so much for your patience in the meantime.

Stevie

PN
Having an Impact

Many thanks Stevie and good to e-meet you. 

Thanks

Partha

PN
Having an Impact

Hi @MitchellMc Mitchell

I have ventured into the store and got the following. 

Pine-dressed premium grade of 285 mm x 19 mm x 1.2 mm - 3 pieces of this. 

Zenith 8G x 15 MM Galvanised Button Head Stitching Timber Screws - 100 pack 

Carinya 140 x 40 x 40 x 2 mm hot-dipped galvanised Builders angle 

The screws and the angle was recommended by the Bunnings in-store trade team in Warragul. 

My question is Mitchell what sort of drill do I need to use for the wood screws?

Also because I have bought a smaller length timber. I now need to join the two length pieces of the L - what sort of angle or hinge should I use Mitchell to join these two pieces?

I will use the angle I have purchased to create the L shape. 

Many thanks 

Partha

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Partha (@PN),

drill driver would be the correct tool to use for wood screws. However, you could get by with just a screwdriver.

To join the two timber sections to become one longer piece, you'd need to use something similar to a Zenith 75mm Zinc Plated Mending Plate. Alternatively, If you had a small scrap of timber that could also work, you'd screw through it into the two pieces you want to join.

Mitchell

PN
Having an Impact

Many thanks @MitchellMc Mitchell. I will get both and give it a go at putting it together. 

Thanks

Partha

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects