Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create an attic for storage?

LeahBlacker
Getting Established

How to create an attic for storage?

Hello,

My question is: Can I rely on the beams of the ceiling/ roof space to support my weight?

I am under 100kgs and I understand that its only the beams that I can stand on.

I would like to lay plywood down so that I can utilise the roof space for storage.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create an attic for storage?

Hello @LeahBlacker

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about converting your attic into storage space.

Using your attic space as a storage area is a great option when looking for more space. However, turning your attic or roof space for storage is a serious undertaking because it impacts major structural aspects of the house. Your roof space may not be suitable for conversion because of the load bearing capacity of your trusses or rafters. 

Many aspects need to be taken into account when converting the space. Your local council will have regulations regarding the use of the attic as storage. Placing a sheet of plywood will not be enough to support you and the items you will be storing. I recommend asking a builder for a quote for possible conversion costs. In this manner, it will be built to carry weight and will pass council rules should it be inspected. 

Let me tag our experienced member @TedBear for his recommendation.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @LeahBlacker  and thanks @EricL for the tag.  I haven't done a loft area conversion, but have spent many hours in roof spaces. The beams will support your weight, especially if you place your feet on different beams, but that's different to placing items up there, which is not something the timber-work was designed for. I can only agree with EricL that it would be very wise to get a builder's opinion, to avoid an expensive and potentially dangerous situation occurring.

LeahBlacker
Getting Established

Hello,

thank you for the response, it is very helpful.

Kind regards

Leah

Thank you for the response.

Very helpful,

kind regards

Leah 

querencia
Building a Reputation

Thanks for asking this question as I’m interested in doing this too. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects