Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix broken push toy handle?

tanteNdut
Growing in Experience

How to fix broken push toy handle?

Hi, 

Someone stepped on my son's favorite toy and snapped the handle. 

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I think for larger diameter items, I can use a dowel and glue the pieces back together. Not sure if it's possible here with the small stick. 

He's 1.5 so the fix will need to be very robust. 

Thanks! 

20220915_093322.jpg

20220915_093315.jpg

  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix broken push toy handle?

Hi @tanteNdut,

Sorry that your son's favourite toy got broken. He must be upset. 

Is it possible to remove the broken piece from the toy so you could replace the whole handle rather than doing a repair? I imagine it might be difficult though if it is glued...

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tanteNdut

In the interest of safety, I don't recommend repairing the timber handle, if glued together and the glue fails the sharp end of the stick could be hazardous. Children's toys are designed in a very specific way, the fewer number of screws you can use the better, everything must be glued together and locked in place to prevent small parts from coming off the toy. 

The handle on the toy is fitted in either two ways, it has a hidden screw covered by a glued-on plastic cap. The handle is push-fitted to the plastic. In order to remove the broken wooden handle, I suggest using an Irwin Vise Grip Curved Jaw Locking Plier to pull the broken piece off. It will need a large amount of force so please be careful and make sure not to injure yourself in the process. If you have a bench vice it would make the process easier.

Look carefully at the rabbit and see if the body can be dismantled. If there are no screws it's possible that the handle is forced fitted as well. Once you have the handle off, I recommend getting the same size timber piece so that you can push fit the replacement back in.

Let me call on our experienced members @JoeAzza and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @tanteNdut, I agree 100% with EricL.  The child's safety must come first.  How thick is the handle and the place that it joins the toy?

Another , but similar, option could be to buy a thicker handle and drill the hole out to suit it. (Firm fit plus glue).

That way it shouldn't break when the child is using it and, at worst, if it did come out of the toy it will be in one piece, not splintered. 

If that's an option for consideration (ie if the toy will accept a larger handle) then I'd suggest the Oates 1.35m x 22mm Duratuff Bamboo Handle ($7.35 at Bunnings).  You would of course cut it down to length and round off its free end. Better still there are 22mm chair rubber tips available. 

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @tanteNdut I also agree with @EricL Safety always comes first, if you can't remove the broken handle, you could buy a pvc sleeve (pcv plumbling pipe or electrical conduit from Bunnings) cut off the broken section on each side of the timber dowel, then fit and glue the pvc pipe or conduit, make sure you make the sleeve long enough to fit the dowel.

JoeAzza_1-1663490214724.png

JoeAzza_0-1663490127037.png

tanteNdut
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the replies everyone! 

I ended up using gorilla glue on the broken pieces. Then wrapping the thick rope around also using the same glue. 

It's quite sturdy but not as safe so it's now used as a decoration. Too bad I did it before I saw the idea using the pipe! 

Thanks! 

20221008_110256.jpg

Thanks for the update, @tanteNdut.

Please reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the home or if you have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects