Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a front door?

K10
Just Starting Out

How to replace a front door?

I need to replace my front door. It’s a crappy old hollow one and the veneer is peeling. If I buy a new front door do I also need to replace the door frame (I think it’s called the door jamb?)? Or do I just sand it back and oil it? The current door is a Right handed door (hinges on right as I’m outside looking in) so that means it Opens inwards as you’re standing outside.

Door jamb measures:

Width 82cm

Height 204cm

Thickness 4.5cm

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace a front door?

Hi @K10

If the door jamb is still in good condition there is no need to replace it. One of the top reasons to replace the door jamb is wood rot. If it has spread throughout the wood it's better to replace it than to repair it. Sanding the door jamb and giving it a new coat of oil should extend its service life. 

The good news is that the measurements you've given are the standard measurements for an exterior door. A good example of an external door is the Hume 2040 x 820 x 40mm External Door Duracote Flush Solidcore STPC. Solid construction and ready for painting. There are many styles to choose from and all of them come in the same size. However, should you need a custom-sized door. I recommend proceeding to the special orders desk and asking a team member for a quote on the size that you need.

Here is a handy link to the Hume Door Catalogue: Hume Doors

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects