Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to utilise Kaboodle for kitchen, bathroom & laundry renos

Lumberhack
Building a Reputation

How to utilise Kaboodle for kitchen, bathroom & laundry renos

232197AE-8D83-42D1-97CB-21DE8AE49DFA.jpeg

F7F67A31-D1AE-4CA8-BC4F-92CD0ECD89E4.jpeg

4431C844-BB26-43C4-A804-0D37C1F92AD7.jpeg

D07B00E2-974C-456D-A8EF-5CF031FEB47D.jpeg

DF3B16F7-5E5B-4147-8510-F49AB106E3E7.jpeg

CECD0259-35C3-497E-B5F5-8D78FB8312CD.jpeg

4B310F4E-1340-4F6B-949F-AC3C18A0DA87.jpeg

CE3E2134-CFB4-474E-9488-20DCFCD92384.jpeg

06633F66-FBB2-4016-AACB-9F5DB62DCD7A.jpeg

320A335F-28AD-45BE-8DAB-897C170A45FC.jpeg

18DCDB78-4927-44EB-9855-0F5878D282A0.jpeg

036DE7CD-111B-4F26-A12F-A46ED15E53C3.jpeg

40B62082-E6E1-4B93-8FCC-F1F61006CB43.jpeg

78C2CE6F-4BDA-4F59-AA7E-ED497C78A162.jpeg

B4A0FBD3-3A96-4D59-871F-07090C50D571.jpeg

9951CCB5-7D59-4965-A735-EA27F44F483C.jpeg

DF5DDF13-3225-4B65-BCA7-1C5DF6CB5126.jpeg

I’m aiming to begin a Kitchen, Bathroom & Laundry reno in the new year using Kaboodle/Bunnings flatpack. I’m having trouble coming up with a usable plan as my iPhone isn’t loving the Kaboodle 3D planner. I wanted to have a few options clear in my head before I go and see the Kaboodle Consultant, kind of like ‘the dream plans’ and then a few ‘consolation plans’ that I can refer to if (when) I get overwhelmed. Any help, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

THE APARTMENT...

Is on the first floor of a c1980’s brick building. It has 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, combined living dining area, enclosed U shaped kitchen and enclosed laundry. (Floor plan in pics)

THE BRIEF...

Kitchen & Bathroom renovation, with the possibility of some laundry cabinetry if budget permits. All fixtures/connections are remaining where they are as it’s too complicated and expensive to move stuff around.

THE BUDGET

$7-$12K

Being able to use Bunnings/Kaboodle flatpack throughout the kitchen/bathroom/laundry would make an enormous difference to my budget!

KITCHEN - THE DREAM
- Remove wall between Living and Kitchen (architect approved)

- Move fridge to laundry? Architect has confirmed that the wall to the left of the laundry doorway could be cut back to where the piping runs (see pics).
- Install breakfast bar where wall was

-Replace base cabinets with drawers

- Replace upper cabinets and install them higher up on the wall so there’s less wasted space between the top of cabinet and ceiling

- New sink

- New electric oven (slide in)

- Possibly a pantry?

- Would LOVE a dishwasher but don’t think it’s gonna happen

LAUNDRY - THE DREAM

-Remove white shelving unit

- Move washing machine flush next to sink and wall mount dryer...somewhere(?)

- Install cabinetry if/where possible

- Wall off the hot water tank? It’s so awkward and hideous!!!

- Sink to remain but I would love to give it a face lift

BATHROOM - THE DREAM

- Install a shower head over the bath and putting a larger vanity where the shower was.  Has anyone done this? Good or bad experiences?

Otherwise:

- Replace vanity

- Replace toilet

- Replace shower with un-framed glass

- Bath to remain

- Re-tile around bath, higher up wall and inside shower

I apologise if this isn’t the right section to post this?!

🛠🪚💚

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to utilise Kaboodle for kitchen, bathroom & laundry renos

Hi @Lumberhack,

Let me tag the wonderful @redracer01 to see if he might like to kick off the discussion. 

@MitchellMc will also be more than happy to assist when he is back on the site on Friday.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lumberhack
Building a Reputation

Thanks @Jason

Hi @Lumberhack,

Although you might wish to do all the renovations of different rooms at the one time, I would encourage you to break it down and concentrate on your plan for each area individually. I'd struggle to comment on all of these areas in the one discussion without failing to provide adequate advice on at least some of the elements.

For instance, why not start with the kitchen by taking a look at our Top 10 most popular kitchen projects for inspiration.

You should find these step-by-step tutorials helpful:

I've put a layout together for the kitchen, please let me know if you'd like any adjustments. I'm sure @redracer01 will have some great ideas as well.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

After posting, it did occur to me that I might be trying to do too much 😅 On your advice, I’m going to re think this and post 3 separate  questions! Will also have a read of the links you sent. 

Thank you very much for the kitchen layout! I really like it & its a very helpful starting point for me!

Cheers!

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Lumberhack 

Below is a sneak peek suggestion. I will post the rest of the drawings soon as time allows.

Cheers,

Red

Lumberhack1.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Lumberhack 

If possible, can you please post the actual dimensions of your laundry walls. That will aid me in making the drawing more accurate and can also inform me if my ideas for cabinet and appliance positioning will work.

Thanks,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi @redracer01 

Apologies for the radio silence on my end - was away taking care of life related stuff! 

Thank you for the wonderful drawing you’ve already done! I’ll measure my laundry walls tonight and post ASAP!

Hi @Lumberhack 

I did a Kaboodle kitchen a few years ago. I love the online Kaboodle planner - if you don't have a tablet or laptop at home, I'd suggest going to the local library and designing your kitchen there - you can save your design to your account so your Kaboodle consultant can view it before they arrive. 

Having said that, I did mine on the graph paper in the Kaboodle brochure (it was before the online planner was available) and that did the job just fine.

Your budget is pretty tight so I thought I'd share things I've done myself (5ft 7 female office worker) to save $$:

I assembled all the cabinets and fitted the doors myself. The pantry was the only difficult one as it was large and heavy - if you get a pantry I'd suggest finding someone to help.  I employed someone to do the benchtop cutouts and installation as my Queenslander walls weren't perfectly square and the benchtop very heavy.   Drawers are more effort (and pricier) than cupboards and your measurements must be perfect or the drawers won't work well. 

I tiled the splashback and the kitchen floor myself.  (Bathroom tiling should really be done by a pro due to the waterproofing).

I used open shelves instead of wall cupboards.  You could always replace them with wall cupboards later.  I try and be minimalist in my crockery/pots/pans etc - it's amazing how much of that stuff you have that you don't use much - have a clear out first!

Painting you can obviously do yourself but don't buy cheap paint as I once did!  You'll 100% regret it.  Only buy Dulux or similar.

Hope this helps.  Ari

Lumberhack
Building a Reputation

Hey @Ari 

Thanks for this! It’s some very helpful insight - especially the part about the drawer costs & measurements 😲🙏

And the open shelves now/cabinets later is something I hadn’t thought about that I’ll utilise if the money gets too tight!

How have your diy splash back and floor held up over the years? I’d love to see some pics of those/the kitchen in general if you have any handy?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects