Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Introduce yourself to the community

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introduce yourself to the community

Welcome to your Workshop. It is great to have you as a member of the community. We encourage you to say hello and introduce yourself.

Please reply to this post and tell us a bit about yourself. Whatever information you feel comfortable sharing is fine.

You might like to tell us about your current D.I.Y. and garden projects, your work, your passions, your hobbies, your dreams, what you struggle with, what you hope to learn from this community, and/or your favourite ice cream flavour.

And for something truly revealing about yourself - tell us what you call a barbecued sausage served on a single piece of bread.

We look forward to your post and getting to know you. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Jason

Community Manager

Sunshine.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Introduce yourself to the community

@Baretta11@Fantus

Many thanks for joining in the discussion. I'm sure @Mex appreciates the time you have taken to provide a warm welcome and answer some of his questions so thoroughly. Great job!

One little tip: if you hit the @ key and then start typing a Workshop member's username like I have done above, the member will be alerted to your post via email notification. It ensures they don't miss your reply. It's particularly handy in long threads like this!

Thanks again,

Jason

@Jason

Hi Jason,

I didn't realize about that even though I have done it in the past but probably more by accident, I slacked off ha-ha.....but thanks for the words of encouragement.

Cheers,

Barbara

No worries at all Barbara (@Baretta11). And congratulations on your special new badge. It was much deserved! 

Jason

sj4
Getting Established

Hi

My name is Sarah-Jane, I have just bought a gorgeous 1957 house and I am looking forward to putting my own spin on it. I am the second owner of the house and its such a cutie.

Looking forward to showing my projects and hopefully get some ideas and assistance along the way.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop Sarah-Jane (@sj4)

Congratulations on your house purchase. This must be such an exciting time for you! Perhaps you could hit the big red Start a discussion button and share some photos of your house and some more detail on what you have planned for it. I'm sure community members would be keen to provide some tips along the way. 

Thanks for joining us and for introducing yourself. I'm looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

Mex
Growing in Experience

Hi @Baretta11, thanks for the welcome and suggestions. I've taken your advice and had the insulation done yesterday! Yup, just like that. My roof is now chocko with yellow batts, to match those in my belfry.

Mex
Growing in Experience

Hey @Fantus, that's an excellent suggestion re the Engineers rule. I know nothing about Multi Tools, so would appreciate any suggestions you'd like to make about these. I'm guessing it's a generic power tool with lots of changable bits. What are the traps for young players in buying one of these?

I managed to bleed all over the golden rule yesterday. :cheeky:

Mex
Growing in Experience

That was going to be my next question - how you keep tools free of rust once you've cleaned them up. I did the vinegar soak recently on a collection of drill bits (phillips heads, hex heads etc) and was blown away by the result. I was ready to throw these bits away and now they're as clean as a whistle. Soaked them in white vinegar, the cheapest you can buy from Aldi, and it took maybe a week to go from crusty to clean. Amazing. So now I'll give them the WD40 treatment and see how that goes.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Mex,

You might be interested in this previous Workshop discussion - Multifunction Tool

Hope it is helpful.

Jason

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@Mex,

Thanks for the reply.

That sound great about the insulation.

I do hope you can keep those smelly little varmints out of your newly furnished roof space!!

Whilst building our new home, hubby and I spent an obscene amount of time trying to make sure mice or rats couldn't get into either our walls or roof space but so many older homes had no such thing and in fact I know of no builders that incooporate rodent mesh.

As we laid the sub floor or green tongue, we cut a piece of mesh about 20cm wide and as long as we could handle off the roll. Part of the mesh was secured under the bottom plate and then the remaining mesh extended over the air gap and was held down by our brickwork. This then prevents access into the wall space as once mice get in there, they are then in your roof!! 

Our electrician in fact laughed at us when we said we were confident that we won't get rodents into our walls or roof because we have sealed off every possible entry point, including around the top of the brickwork where the eaves finish and all holes in brickwork where either electrical or plumbing fixtures come in or go out.

We are even very particular now never to leave doors open as we come and go even though the home is still some time from complete but we don't want to inadvertantly let a mouse in that way after all our other efforts to keep them out.

I know when my son and I refurbished my mothers roof, we disposed of RUBBISH bags full of rats and their nests, absolutely horrendous but we looked for and found all the entry points and sealed them off.

I've enclosed an image of our veranda 's being prepared and to the left of the picture, you can see the rodent mesh just showing under the blue paper and sitting on the foundation bricks that are eventually covered with brickwork.

Veranda Prep #3.JPG

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects