Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Introduce yourself to the community

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introduce yourself to the community

Welcome to your Workshop. It is great to have you as a member of the community. We encourage you to say hello and introduce yourself.

Please reply to this post and tell us a bit about yourself. Whatever information you feel comfortable sharing is fine.

You might like to tell us about your current D.I.Y. and garden projects, your work, your passions, your hobbies, your dreams, what you struggle with, what you hope to learn from this community, and/or your favourite ice cream flavour.

And for something truly revealing about yourself - tell us what you call a barbecued sausage served on a single piece of bread.

We look forward to your post and getting to know you. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Jason

Community Manager

Sunshine.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Introduce yourself to the community

G'day @Allan72, many thanks for joining us and for introducing yourself. It's fantastic to have you as part of the Workshop community.

Perhaps you could hit the Start a discussion button and share some photos of your landscaping work to date. I'm sure our members would love to see what you have achieved so far. You might also get some helpful suggestions about the remaining work that is still on your to-do list. 

Please get in touch anytime you need a hand.

Jason

baza
Growing in Experience

Hello Community,
My wife n I about to move into our new home, we are going to be building a deck all the way around our new home so we will be picking all the community’s brains for any tips. My wife Sami is doing all the interior painting which she loves to do and my job is the outside. My timber n building skills are average to say the least but have done a fair bit of labourers work for chippys n brickies when I was young plus building cattle yards n fencing on remote stations. Looking forward to any tips the community can provide.👋

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop @baza and congratulations on the new house. This must be a very exciting time for you and Sami. We're really looking forward to seeing your place and what you can do with it. I'm sure the community will be more than happy to lend a hand whenever they can assist. Feel free to post anytime you need help or just have a new project to share. 

Thanks for joining us,

Jason

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@baza

Welcome to the community.

Your deck will be a very big project and I think all your time spent with the chippies and brickies will hold you in good stead and of course there is the workshop community that can help you with any "grey" areas !!

I'll never forget when my brother decided to build a room onto an old home he and my sister in law lived in 40 odd years ago and he thought standing the stumps on top of the ground was what you did to hold a floor up ha-ha He had absolutely no idea that you have to dig a hole and place the stump into the ground etc...but fortunately our dad, who had some self taught building skills, helped him and my brother is still busy hammering and building something to this very day!!

There is nothing like "doing it" yourself and isn't always about saving money but more so the immense satisfaction you can get from doing the job yourself.

I know because hubby and I built our home ourselves and we couldn't be more proud!!

A deck around the entire house will make a huge difference to the look of your home for sure. We have a veranda all the way around our home and it looks amazing albeit I am rather biased ha-ha

I hope Sami has more luck than I did choosing colours for inside though, as I went through dozens of paint pots before I found the "right" colour but find it I did!!

Best of luck with your project and please keep the community up to date with progress photo's when you can.

Cheers,

Barbara

Tupps
Just Starting Out

Teacher & Mad Keen on D.I.Y

Hi Gang, site looks great, looking forward to posting and getting lots of great tips and ideas..

kate1
Getting Established

i really like going through stuff people are throwing out.

Hi I'm Karen

How are you

Would you have any tips for me please I'm trying to build a bridge for my grandkids (4)&(3)

Kev
Building a Reputation

Re: i really like going through stuff people are throwing out.

Hi @kate1
A little more information will get you a better response.
A bridge? Is it over water? or standalone in the backyard?
What height do you want it and what length?
Do you want to make it permanent, or portable so you can move it around?
Share your thoughts and let people give you ideas so you can refine your plan.
Cheers,
Kev

Vix633
Growing in Experience

Hi DIY-ers! I'm Vicky and I love doing things myself, but I sometimes lack the necessary skills. My sister is a certified builder, so I ask her a lot of dumb questions (yes there really are dumb questions, lol). It would be great to give her a break every now and then and ask this community them instead :smile:

I live in my sister's investment property, and soon we will be adding me as a co-owner, so I am pretty much able to do any job on the property I wish, within my skill and financial means. Lately I've been tackling everything from sewing dog collars and jackets to turning a hollow-core door into a stable door and also making a pallet sofa for my balcony. I'll post some photos soon when I take them - they're still works in progress.

I really like finding ways to repurpose my recycling instead of throwing them in the yellow bin every fortnight. I had been collecting liquor bottles for some time and have used them as a quirky garden edging. It doesn't look great at the moment, but once I get more plants and landscaping done, it'll look wonderful!

I also love dogs, and doing things for them too! I foster care for a rescue group, so I get all types of dogs through here. Any project ideas to make life easier with them are always worthwhile, such as kiddie gates on doors to restrict access if a dog isn't toilet trained (yes I learnt that the hard way). Or gluing fake grass on the stairs leading up to my living area so it scrapes off some dirt before it gets on my floors. Wait until I post a picture of my doghouse!!! It's a nose cone of a 737!!

Thanks all, and talk soon :smile:
V
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: i really like going through stuff people are throwing out.

@kate1 

hi you asked for some tips on building a bridge 

1. i did a search of the net for free plans on building a garden bridge and there are heaps

2. i layed out an arc on a large sheet of  ply. from that i made a swing arm long enough to produce the arc and attached the swing arm to my router and the centre point of the arc routered bothe the top and bottom of the treated pine sleepers, then cut the planks out of treated pine decking 

not sure if this helps

regards

r23on

Chrissie35
Building a Reputation

Re: Introduce myself

I thought I should give you an update from back in October November last year when I was going to build my Cats enclosure . It took me about a month to complete - totally on my own,  and with lots of down time for panadol and ice packs for the aches and pains. 

It is awesome and my Cats love it and I gave a cat door so they can come in or out as they please . I also have my chairs out there so I also now sit out there and enjoy it as well . Over the top is part cat max and part shadecloth so they  can chose sun or shade.  I have also out a full u shape zipper so I can still go in  and out the back if needed . Bunnings staff were fantastic in helping with cutting if some of the wood and advice if needed. I am extremely happy with the final result and my Cats spend most if the day out there  . I am about to  to put a clear  tarp to cover the top for over winter so they  can be out there  if they wish , when it is raining  . I will remove it when summer returns .

20181129_215037.jpg

Screenshot_20190309-192914_Gallery.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects