Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Introduce yourself to the community

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introduce yourself to the community

Welcome to your Workshop. It is great to have you as a member of the community. We encourage you to say hello and introduce yourself.

Please reply to this post and tell us a bit about yourself. Whatever information you feel comfortable sharing is fine.

You might like to tell us about your current D.I.Y. and garden projects, your work, your passions, your hobbies, your dreams, what you struggle with, what you hope to learn from this community, and/or your favourite ice cream flavour.

And for something truly revealing about yourself - tell us what you call a barbecued sausage served on a single piece of bread.

We look forward to your post and getting to know you. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Jason

Community Manager

Sunshine.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Trish2
Building a Reputation

Re: Introduce yourself to the community

Hello,  I'm new  here and not afraid to  have a go at some simple tasks, however a bit limited due to physical health. I'm in the process of preparing my kitchen tiles for painting on the tiniest of budgets, but I'm struggling with sanding the tiles in preparation for painting.  If I use the recommended grit of 400 I don't seem to make any difference to the gloss, if I use 80 grit it is very time consuming (like a a couple of tiles in a day due to my physical ability). Do I have to remove all the gloss it is so hard to see any difference? I am using an electric sander. I have purchased the Dulux renovation range and I have been on to Dulux and they recommend that I  get the laminate primer which will  help the paint bond, but I still have to remove all the gloss. (It doesn't say anything about that in the instructions another $60). I really need some experienced advice please! Only a small splashback to do

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @Trish2. It's fantastic to have you join us.

"Having a go" is half the battle already won! I'd encourage you to hit "Start a discussion" so we can more comprehensively cover your project and provide assistance. I have just spoken to Dulux customer support and they are advising that we only need to dull the gloss not remove the coating completely. We are at two ends of the spectrum with 400grit and 80grit. With 400grit it should dull the tile significantly within a minute of sanding. If you take a torch or another light source and shine it on the tile, you should notice a significant dulling of its sheen. The 80grit, on the other hand, is trying to put large scratches in the tile and maybe actually making it more difficult to achieve a dulling of the gloss. 

I would perhaps go with something like a 240grit sandpaper and check from angle with an additional light source.

Please let me know or create a new post with "Start a discussion" and I can assist further.

Mitchell

Trish2
Building a Reputation

Thank you for your advice, I will start a discussion. I did gradually work down the grit numbers to sand the tiles and I couldn't  make any inroads with anything above the 80 even though I understand that it will scratch the surface.

nuwa
Cultivating a Following

Hey @Jason  and all

Im Nuwa, A Sri Lankan immigrant. Still in the garden project i started back in October.. Slowly completing it when i have a time off from job. Had a full paved backyard and we're trying to grow some veges and flowers. I find the forum is a very important when we look for answers on issues we face. 

I dont have an answer for the sausage on bread :wink:  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to have you as one of our valued community members @nuwa. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with any project around the house and garden. Thanks for formally introducing yourself. We are looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon.

Jason

MosaicsBabe
Getting Established

Newbie Introduction To Community

0F79E01B-AD44-47AE-AAC2-ABE14B329EE5.jpeg

2944D2D4-7313-4CE9-821A-96408D2E91FC.jpeg

08713CEF-CE8A-47D6-8A29-0508E8F5FE13.jpeg

  

43547FE8-5732-4F66-A050-1C6D4061B21B.jpeg

C9FE8E5D-10B8-475F-B934-9290BA8259CF.jpeg

   

F237718B-7B1E-4562-9F16-C6D2B841DABD.jpeg

  

Hello All-

Id like to introduce myself to the community. I am the daughter of an engineer and builder who has passed on his passion of DIY to me.

I love creating and designing items that are usually completely different to the majority of people. I especially like to recycle, reuse and upcycle where ever possible. I love finding treasures where others discard it as rubbish.

For the last two years I’ve been dabbling in Mosaics specifically with antique and vintage crockery, broken jewellery, tiles, glass, and mixed media embellishments on mainly 95% recycled materials, like furniture, tools, surfboards, pots, bottles, frames, clocks, totem poles, bowling balls, etc....I’ve created over 150 items, some of which I have attached. 

I have also been mentored by my father in renovating properties and muscle cars for over 2 decades. 

I look forward to helping however I can and sharing knowledge and skills with likeminded people. 

15F8DA26-9DAB-4D23-AAAC-1F110A13651A.jpeg

5149986B-80A6-4998-BF70-C0A7AD06C10A.jpeg

69E60A71-91D6-4CCA-82F5-6597876B7690.jpeg

Re: Newbie Introduction To Community

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MosaicsBabe. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for introducing yourself and for sharing your projects.

Those mosaics are amazing, and I trust some enthusiasts within the community will be eager to seek advice from you. We look forward to hearing what helpful advice you contribute, as I'm sure you're very knowledgeable on the subject. 

Please let us know if you ever need help with projects around your house or garden or if you would like to share one with us. I'm sure you'll find loads of inspiration within the community, as our creative members are contributing their own projects here all the time.

Mitchell

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi all! I recently joined this community and the Bunnings team. I’m really impressed by the projects I’ve seen so far. @ProjectPete anything you create is outstanding and @DIYgals I love seeing all your reno updates.

Like a lot of people, my dream is to have a home of my own someday. I hope to be able to buy an older home and renovate it with modern touches while keeping the character of the home. For now, I’m renting with limited space so the projects I’m getting inspired by the most are the plant stands (thanks to @joineryjo and @JoeAzza), mosaics (thanks @Julieg9426 for sharing your incredible bird piece) and @Nham's dinner table makeover.

Look forward to getting to know you and your projects better.

Stevie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to have you join the community @StevieB! As a fellow renter, I look forward to hearing all about your plans around the house and garden. 

Welcome aboard!

Mitchell

Hello @StevieB 

Welcome to workshop @StevieB! Just like @MitchellMc I'm renting as well so we are a bit limited to some of the projects we can do. Looking forward to your projects for the site.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects