Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Introduce yourself to the community

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introduce yourself to the community

Welcome to your Workshop. It is great to have you as a member of the community. We encourage you to say hello and introduce yourself.

Please reply to this post and tell us a bit about yourself. Whatever information you feel comfortable sharing is fine.

You might like to tell us about your current D.I.Y. and garden projects, your work, your passions, your hobbies, your dreams, what you struggle with, what you hope to learn from this community, and/or your favourite ice cream flavour.

And for something truly revealing about yourself - tell us what you call a barbecued sausage served on a single piece of bread.

We look forward to your post and getting to know you. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Jason

Community Manager

Sunshine.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Introduce yourself to the community

And for something truly revealing about yourself - tell us what you call a barbecued sausage served on a single piece of bread.

We call them Tasmanian Sausages, because they're in-bread. ; )

Apologies any Tasmanians out there, I mean no offence, it was something random that popped into my kaleidoscopic brain many years ago.

Ozmango
Getting Established

Hi All

I'm Hilary andI LOVE doing DIY bits and pieces to my 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom unit. When I moved into my unit 7 or 8 years ago I fitted the laundry out with flatpack cupboards that I put together myself.

The unit has a surprisingly large garden for a unit (L-shaped and hugs the house) and I'm a woeful and very reluctant gardener. My favourite stores are hardware stores and I can spend hours just looking around and coveting.

My little home has become rather cluttered over time so my current mission is to work on interesting and improved ways to store 'stuff' that I can't bring myself to throw out. I am also keen to have a go at using handiblocks to build a small deck - mainly to prove that a 60-something woman can do it.

It's called a snanger of course.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop Hilary (@Ozmango). It's great to have you join the community. I hope you find plenty of great ideas and information here. You might like to start with this discussion - Your top storage ideas.

Looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans soon.

Jason

Sue51
Finding My Feet

HI I'm Sue and live in North Queensland. I live on 4 acres in a valley and looking forward to getting some advice from others on how to deal with pests in the garden. This year I have found so many new ones it is always a challenge.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Sue51,

Thanks for introducing yourself. Let me extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. 

I would encourage you to start a new discussion in the gardening board about any pests you'd like to keep out of your garden. I'm sure Workshop members would be keen to help and share their knowledge and experience. 

I was listening to ABC radio yesterday and there was a discussion about fire ants and yellow crazy ants that are a significant environmental threat in Queenland. I hope you haven't got any of those! The damage that they can cause sounded incredible. 

Thanks again for joining us. 

Jason

Hi Hilary,

It sounds like you've made a beautiful home for yourself but clutter can truely be the bain of all time.

Just think about it for a moment, that you called all the things you couldn't bring yourself to get rid of as "clutter" not mementos, special meaningful pieces!!!

I currently live in a seven square home whilst building our dream home and I too had allot of things that I simply couldn't fit in properly, not so much clutter but things that belonged to both my mother and mother in law, so some of it could be perceived as being mementos.

One day I decided to free myself of all these things that I didn't need or couldn't use or simply didn't use and didn't "chuck it" I repurposed it by taking it to the opp shop. This process lifted such a weight off my shoulders, I can't actually put into words just how good it made me feel to be able to open a cupboard and be able to see the shelf ha-ha

I didn't let myself feel bad that I discarded personl items, well actually it was entirely kitchen stuff. What I have got to remember both these fine ladies are some garden plants, so everytime I see them I can remember them fondly rather than feeling the other way about having all that stuff I didn't want!

Some friends said to me that I could take all this stuff with me as I'll have plenty of room in the new house but that wasn't a good enough reason.

Hope my story can help you purge what sounds like a lovely home and reclaim your shelves, draws and even rooms!!!!

Cheers,

Barbara

Hi Sue, welcome!!

Not sure I can help you with your pests, as I would gather the main culprits are kangaroos, perhaps turkeys maybe, possums and the like.

A dog can be a bit of a detterent if you want to free yourself of these pests as you call them but being on four acres, unless you're trying to farm it in some way, or have horses for example, it will be difficult, you may have to embrace it instead!!!

My brother for example, purposely brings home mince for the countless kooka's, magpies, crows and other birds that frequent his back yard. He loves the interaction but personally if they cause too much trouble for us where we live, we certainly don'ty encourage them to hang around!!

Tell me a bit more about what you do and what pest is of most cconcern?

I await your reply.

Cheers,

Barbara

Neil
Finding My Feet

Hi community
I'm Neil
I do plenty of diy with lots of practice on my 1970s home, kitchen,bathroom Reno was completed using bunnings white gloss cupboards and project wood I made into bench tops, I've recently reed screened my side fence and am continually finding jobs to do, I look forward to posting pictures of my projects, it helps that I'm a metal fabricator/ mechanical Pipefitter/ welder a lot of the skills such as levels marking out are transferable the rest is YouTube lol,
Here's a hint for new diy'ers 80% of any job being done well is preparation!!!!! The rest is skill and experience........ Goodly luck
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining the community and introducing yourself @Neil. It's great to have you as a member of Workshop. I'm sure you will have a lot of knowledge and experience you can share. I hope you can also get plenty of ideas and tips from the rest of the community, too. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of your handiwork soon. 

Jason

scifanatic
Growing in Experience

Hello, I'm Greg, apart from general dog's-body and round-the-house, repair man, I make cosplay items for enthuisiasts and my 3 boys, anything from Star Wars outfits to Iron Man helemts etc.

I've just started a re-design of an Iron Man helmet to test out some new templates for card-board creations, to try make them easier and more fun to build. I'll post some pics at some point.

looking forward to seeing  whats on this site, always good to learn new tips.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects