Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Looking to design and build a cat tree

sydneysider
Building a Reputation

Looking to design and build a cat tree

Hi there

Our cat is very fond of her cat tree which  survived almost a year now and is on the verge of collapsing. Its the usual cat stuff you get from online sites made of MDF and covered with particle board & felt.

I am now looking to DIY the cat tree and want to make something more elegant which doesn't look monstrous in our living area.  

My considerations are :

1. We have Jarrah hardwood flooring so looking for something  which will blend in easily and look good.  

2. Want to maintain as small footprint as possible while still making the structure stable- I know its a tough compromise !

3. Can have additional support from the ceiling, however ceiling is gyprock and I want the pressure to be as evenly distributed as possible so as not to damage the ceiling. 

4. Prefer timber look, however parts of it maybe covered in sisal or carpet off cuts to keep the cat happy. 

I am attaching couple of images so you  get what I have in mind. I am hoping Bunnings has most of what I need (except the carpet of course) and looking for suggestions & material list. Design can vary a bit ( based on photos) but at this stage, just looking for broad suggestions on materials and how to go about it.

Thanks in advance !!

Red-sisal-Fabric-Climber-e1616453395434.jpgfrp3gbDTBok-TvyQhgTjc3PFg.jpgRed-sisal-Acrylic-Pilllar.jpg

sydneysider
Building a Reputation

Re: Looking to design and build a cat tree

Hi @StevieB ,

For now, we put it on hold as our cat wouldn't give up the old tree !! She likes it too much... 

I am sure I will be back into it at some stage though...

thanks for checking in 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects