Workshop
Ask a question

How to paint 80s aluminium doors?

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

How to paint 80s aluminium doors?

We recently completed phase 1 of our renovation and had most of our house professionally painted.

The rooms look completely new apart from the ugly aluminium doors that will not be replaced until phase 2 of the renovation in 18mths - 2yrs.

Does anyone have experience painting these?

aluminium doors 2.jpg

aluminium doors 1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting 80's aluminium doors

Welcome to the Workshop community @Shnoony. Many thanks for your question, I can assist with it.

From personal experience I would be pulling the tape off every time, as I too work under the same guideline of "peel before it is dry". Issues start arising when a skin of dry paint forms over the edge of the tape. When you then peel the tape it will pull the paint off including the area where you need it to stay.

We look forward to seeing your window renovation completed and if you ever need assistance or have something to share with the community please let us know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MegSal
Just Starting Out

Hi Elaine, just wondering if you ended up painting your windows and if you've had issues with the tracks? 

MegSal
Just Starting Out

What did everyone do with the weather strips? And all the grooves and crannies? 

Just paint over everything? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MegSal. It's amazing to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Let me mention @ElaineP to see if they can share an update and answer your question. 

You'd want to remove the weather stripping before coating as the paint will not stick very well to rubber, foam and sealing strips. As for the grooves and crannies, you can paint them with an aerosol can which would be easier than a fine brush.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

DonnaL
Cultivating a Following

Thank you for sharing this. They look brand new. Thanks also for the advice on using primer.

Hello,

Is the spray paint appropriate for external aluminium joinery too? 
Can you recommend specific spray paint brand and type of paint? 

Thank you. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @NatalieAnneNZ. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

The Dulux Metalshield range of spraypaints is certainly suitable for exterior application. I'd recommend this paint because there is no primer required for pre-painted metal surfaces if they are in reasonably sound condition and it is epoxy enamel paint which is very durable.

It would be great to follow along with your aluminium joinery refresh. We'd encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share your project with the community.

Mitchell

Super_D
Becoming a Leader

nice work...

Hi there

i’m surprised a primer isn’t required 

Thanks for joining in the discussion @danielyacht. You will definitely get a better result by using a primer. 

Are you planning you own project? Please let us know if you need a hand with anything. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects