Workshop
Ask a question

How to paint 80s aluminium doors?

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

How to paint 80s aluminium doors?

We recently completed phase 1 of our renovation and had most of our house professionally painted.

The rooms look completely new apart from the ugly aluminium doors that will not be replaced until phase 2 of the renovation in 18mths - 2yrs.

Does anyone have experience painting these?

aluminium doors 2.jpg

aluminium doors 1.jpg

Re: Painting 80's aluminium doors

Is this suitable to use over powder coated aluminium windows? Or is an etch primer and duramax better? (Or is it not suitable to paint over powder coated frames?). Thanks!!

Hi @theparlourroom,

Etch primers are used to key metal surfaces allowing the paint to stick to them. As your windows have been powder coated there is no exposed metal for the etch primer to work on. 

It would be my recommendation to use the Dulux Metalshield range as no primer is required and they are an epoxy enamel paint which is hard-wearing. Make sure you clean all the painted surfaces down with sugar soap and rinse clean afterwards before applying the paint.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you!!

What is the usual finish of an aluminium door, satin or gloss? I’ve just bought the gloss but I’m second guessing myself and thinking of swapping for satin. Picked up a lovely brown sliding door from a salvage yard and will be changing to black. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RebeccaR,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and thanks for joining in the discussion. Can you please tell us what paint you have purchased? I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to confirm whether it is suitable for your project.  

Many thanks,

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @RebeccaR

It's great that you've picked up a great recycling project. Manufacturers use to finish windows and aluminum sliding doors in gloss. It was the opinion back then that a gloss finish would be easier to clean and maintain. In this instance, you have total freedom to choose the finish that you want. You can match the finish of the windows of your house, or you can have it stand alone with its own unique satin finish. 

Painting the frame in a light gloss colour will hide dust and fingerprint marks. A satin finish will provide better hiding characteristics as it does not have a high rate of reflection. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your current project? It will give our members a better idea of its current condition. We can then provide you with a more comprehensive recommendation. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your aluminum door.

If you need further assistance with this project, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric,

I originally bought a gloss spray but swapped them for satin after a few days of deliberations. I’ve done one coat on one side of the removable middle panel and it’s looking amazing so far. I just need to be patient to wait the required time between coats. I’m using Dulux Metalshield epoxy enamel spray cans in satin black. 

1A0866EF-4923-4A16-99F4-B0D9766290C9.jpeg

595517DA-881C-45D8-9C92-E27297127D8F.jpeg

E391928A-4BA7-4EF8-9FF2-2BA8BBD65652.jpeg

773C1119-56FA-4A72-AB09-E9C37E24C9AF.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking great @RebeccaR. It will be fantastic to see the end results - I'm sure the rest of the community will be really inspired by what you have done. 

Many thanks for sharing, and please do provide an update soon.

Jason

sebiboo
Getting Established

Looks great!

Did you have to do any prep like sanding?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @sebiboo,

Check out the D.I.Y. advice How to update window mullions. The same techniques can be applied for aluminium doors.  The Bunnings team recommends cleaning with sugar soap, then sanding with 180-grit sandpaper before painting.

Hope that helps.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects