Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Poll: Would you rather live in a single-level or double-storey house?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Poll: Would you rather live in a single-level or double-storey house?

There's a real tension in house designs at the moment, with one push towards bigger homes and another towards accessible homes.

With the price of land ever-increasing, most people choose a double-storey design to increase the number of rooms in the home. But that typically means stairs, which present accessibility problems for people of advancing years, people with a disability or even those with short-term injuries. 

Our latest poll asks whether you would prefer to live in a single-level or double-storey house. One might be more convenient and accessible, the other option presents significantly more space (and potentially other bonuses like views).

Let us know which you prefer by voting in the poll on the front page. Feel free to also add to the discussion by replying below.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Reply: Poll: Would you rather live in a single-level or double-storey house?

Forgive me @BibbyKat, for some reason I thought that you were in your '80s, but now I discover that you were born in the '80s. :embarassed: :wink:

By the way, haggle with your consultant if you think their chair lifts are too slow, demand a souped up, high performance chair lift rocket, or you'll buy elsewhere.

Re: Reply: Poll: Would you rather live in a single-level or double-storey house?

Oh gosh Andy_Mann .. nothing to forgive. My sense of humour! Have been 32 years longer than 32 years +(plus).   hahahahaha.

Will say definitely not in the 70/80's. If in the 70's or 80's and felt like this .. I would be taking the steps 2 at a time and in no need of a chair life .. and I would be the rocket.

Anyway, am sure that these chair lifts have a variation of speeds.  Will check them out when the time comes and thanks for all the advisement.  Greatly appreciated from everyone.

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: Poll: Would you rather live in a single-level or double-storey house?

Hi Elaine

Ive noticed stair lifts have certainly come down in price over the years

It wouldnt be a bad idea to make you stairs a little wider and put in extra supports 

for future chair lift..

@BibbyKat I forgot to mention what would be fantastic above your craft/art  loft is a retractable roof..if possible..just a thought...

Hi Chris ..
Great info .. thank you .. but..but.. but .. what is a retractable roof. ????
This is getting bigger than Ben Hur ... hhahaha
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi Elaine
Perths climate is wonderful and there is no reason why a portion of the roof or walls shouldn't open and close to suit
(where viable)

Oh dear .... love all this. Saw Andy_Mann's comment to you. Cannot get to him on this .. probably not trying too hard .. laughing so much! hahahahaha. I think he's right about "The Budget" factor.
Tell him I want some of that sauce too.

Yes, we have wonderful weather here in Coffs Harbour .. noted to have the BEST climate in Australia. hehehehe

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Love yah @BibbyKat, I think only you & @Jason caught my post (it was deleted), but you can pm me to find out how funny it really was. :smile:

Hi Andy_Mann .. . having a giggle. Errrrrrr x 2 questions ??

1: what does " pm " mean??? 2: Why deleted? (Nothing wrong with it .. thought it funny!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

I've had a big day today, I spent plenty at Bunnings, & on returning worked up a massive sweat while tweaking storage options in our garage.

This may seem obscure (off topic), but to entertain myself in the cool down process afterwards, I did a Google Earth Pro search of our local surroundings. It included the still developing St Clair development, my Woodville Bunnings (built on part of the defunct Holdens factory), & the corpse of the remaining Holden factory complex.

My focus of interest was on the St Clair development's land useage, house orientations, proportion of house to allotment ratio, & views. Google Eart Pro might be out of touch, but a photo is worth a thousand words. Interstingly, in the aerial view, I could clearly see trees & vegetation in the older/established surrounding areas (like ours, & it's visible), but none in the St Clair development.

That's not a problem for the converted St Clair habitants, they may not know chemical free home grown food, & who cares, convenient to them, is the Coles Supermarket (all organic?), & a bunch of (MSG loaded) takeaway food vendors.

For those that question, google St Clair, South Australia. :wink:

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Today just gets better & better, I thought I'd catch up on some video files that I'd recorded on the PVR, & I caught the final episode of "Streets Of Your Town" on the ABC.

I mean WOW, I couldn't have scripted it better, it takes a look at iconic Australian architecture from the '50s, & walks us to where we are now.

Worth a look, if you're willing to open your mind to where we are now.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects