Workshop
Ask a question

How to prep wood step and clear seal?

corky55
Getting Established

How to prep wood step and clear seal?

I’ve been sanding back the front step and got rid of a few layers of paint and want to fully prep it for a clear varnish. Any product tips for cleaning it up and then sealing it?

step.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Prepping wood step and clear seal

Hello @corky55

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about preparing your front door wood step for sealing.

In order to get a really clean timber surface, I suggest using 120grit sandpaper in combination with a sanding block. However, if you have access to an orbital sander it will make prepping the timber surface much faster. It seems several coats have been applied to the surface of the timber so I suggest continuing sanding until all traces of the old sealer are gone. 

Once all of the old sealers have been removed, I recommend using Cabots Aquadeck Natural Exterior Decking Oil. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to protect the wooden front door threshold? by @AliceS. Because this timber is exposed to the outside elements, I recommend using a decking oil instead of a polyurethane sealer.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
corky55
Getting Established

Thanks Eric! Would you recommend a paint stripper or Cabot’s deck clean? Or just sanding?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @corky55,

@EricL will be back after the weekend, and I trust he will add to the discussion if I miss anything.

I'd encourage you to stay away from paint strippers if possible. It's messy work and often still involves sanding coating remnants away. Cabot's deck clean is for stripping oils from timber, so I don't think it will do much for you here as it's likely a heard-wearing polyurethane coating, not an oil.

Give sanding a go and let us know how effective it is. It should only take 30mins or so, even by hand. If you're not getting anywhere, then we can look at trying to strip the coating off.

Mitchell

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have done the front and the back of my place using the wet look decking product.

The front that is protected is holding up well but back which is more open to weather and wear and tear from the dog needs redoing.

Front was easy to sand but the back took some effort given it was likely to have been untouched from the original 1955 house build.

I think the back would be a yearly recoat with what I used with the damage looking more wear from the dog rather that weathering.

Hi @MitchellMc and @EricL, sanding it back quite a lot and it’s looking good but two questions. Any thoughts on these deeper gaps? It had some kind of filler in there before which I’ve taken out. I don’t mind just putting aqua deck oil over the top but if it’s stop possible issues with rotting etc, I’ll fill them in. Second question, any guess at the type of wood? There’s a chiseled out area (pic below) that I’d like to find some wood to replace it with. Thanks!

9D240D2A-A9B9-4038-B6B9-3138E8338E12.jpeg

5721B247-CC3C-4ABB-9723-152E2608376F.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @corky55

Thank you very much for the update on your timber doorstep revamp. The timber is looking very nice, unfortunately, the damage at the far end seems extensive, I suggest cutting the area out and making it nice and square. I then recommend looking for a similar coloured timber and creating a patch to fit into the area that you've just carved out.

I've placed a sketch below to give you an idea of how to place the timber patch. You'll need a bit of sanding and chiselling to match the profile of your timber doorstep. In regards to the damaged portions of the step, I propose going to your local store and looking at the wood fillers that are close in colour to your decking oil. In this manner, once you start staining the wood the filler will not stand out too much. 

Please note that timber patch on the other hand will have a different tone reaction to your current doorstep and will become a highlight to its profile. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

corky55
Getting Established

Great! Thanks @EricL - so my plan is to see how the wood looks with the Cabot’s aquadeck, get fillers and a piece of timber to match, fill and repair the gap and then coat again with the Cabot’s. Please let me know if any changes to this plan are recommended 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds good, @corky55. However, I wouldn't coat the missing section with Aquadeck before you repair it. The oil will prevent your Liquid Nails from adhering sufficiently.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects