Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Severe issue with carpets

Wouldy
Making a Splash

Severe issue with carpets

I moved into a rental property just over two weeks ago. The carpet was cleaned before I moved in. The house itself us a very old house, heritage listed. 

One if the main issues us extremely old carpet with lots of old stains and it us work throughout. I have not stayed even one night in my house since I moved in. Just stayed with a friend while I sorted the issue. Long story cut short, the owner doesn't want to do anything about it. So, it us left up to me. I do not know what the actual smell is. I know the carpet us old. It just smells too potent to be old carpet. 

I'm very sensitive and the smell makes me feel sick. I have organised another carpet cleaning company to do my carpets but they can't come till May 11th due to our area and surrounds recently being hit by cyclone Seroja. 

So, I'm going to have to move in. I'm scared that I'm going to get ill. I don't know what to do to help with the smell until the carpet cleaners come in May. I don't want to spend money in things that won't work. The carpet has no underlay. It has always been a commercial building but actually no one will buy it. It's got too many problems and owner is asking for more than its worth. The real estate doesn't give a dam. I just want to sort my carpets so I can actually live in my place. Doing a wet carpet clean I feel is not a solution that will work either. It's already been done. 

Can anyone help? Thanks. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Severe issue with carpets

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Xue.

How can we assist you? Just let us know.

We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@TedBear 

IMG20210428114722.jpg

IMG20210428114730.jpg

 This is the wooden floor and what the carpet looks like lifted back. 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

That looks nasty. No underlay and the carpet backing is stained. That would suggest that some spillages may have soaked into the floorboards.

An internet search showed up a suggestion from a professional carpet cleaning service in UK with the following suggestion ( for the sake of others with a similar problem since you are now getting past the DIY stage, but you could try it if nothing else comes about)

1. Make a solution from equal parts of lukewarm water and white vinegar.
  2. Apply the solution to the whole area with a soft carpet brush.
  3. Thе mixture will not only kill any potential mildew formations but also absorb any type of odour.
  4. Let the carpet air dry. Help it by opening all the doors and windows in the house. If you have a fan, place it pointing to the carpet to speed up the process. ( source: https://www.cardiffcarpetcleaning.co.uk).  If you try it, I'd suggest washing the timber with the solution as well. The owners should be ashamed ... and/or at least be more helpful. I am sure all the Workshops readers of this post are also holding out to hear a good outcome, as you will be even more so. 

@TedBear 

Sorry it took me a while to respond. I have been flat out. I'm taking action legally now. You are right, the owners should feel ashamed. I'm not surprised though, it's a company owned by two people. An investment company. I've seen their turnover. Not investing anything. That is why it will not sell. Because it smells like old urine. They haven't cleaned it. No carpet cleaning will clean it. I want the carpet gone, the wooden floor sanded and sealed. It's their choice whether to lay carpet again or not. The smell is putrid. I'm in week three of not living there. I've had enough. I told them a million time it has no underlay, then they act all surprised when the carpet contractor told them it has no underlay. He couldn't check the carpet because of it, so it was a waste of time. I'm going to contact the owner direct if I'm allowed and talk to him about it. If he still won't come to the party, I am going to provide him with a breach notice. I've had enough now. 

@TedBear 

Also, I am not allowed to do any of the above suggested as I am renting and it's a heritage listed home. I can't do anything besides go legal if he doesn't come to the party. I've already tried through real estate, I'm giving him one more chance all via writing and if not satisfactorily attended to, I will be serving a notice of breach. 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

hi @Wouldy 

this is a case that is clearly beyond a DIY solution, since you are limited by the house being a rental.

You are doing all that you can (and should, I think) to arrange a fair deal and a suitable outcome for both parties.

A business deal has been entered into, so the other party has to provide what is inherently promised in the rental contract, given that you are doing your part.

I hope you will be able to announce that it is resolved suitably, and for your sake, soon.

TedBear.

@TedBear 

Thank you, I hope so too. I'm very tired and over being stressed. 

Wouldy

@TedBear 

Well I issued a request for maintenance urgent - 48 hours as directed by the Department of Mines and industry Regulations this afternoon. This was the fourth time I had received advice in the three weeks and I just wanted to make sure it was going to be OK for me. So, I went ahead with it. The real estate came back at me scathing, provided me with a report by the carpet contractor that came out, that was not provided to me before and said they are going to obtain legal advice from the DMIRS. Little do they know that I already have a file open with them and Circle Green Legal ( Formerly Tenants WA) The report has some lies in it, which I can prove. They have said to me they are open to me to me ending my tenancy and will not be charged rent after I have handed the keys back. The owner still refuses to fix anything even with my notice. I was assured by the DMIRS they cannot terminate my lease by putting in the request for maintenance. Who knows, but that is where things are at unfortunately. They have till Wednesday and then I will serve them a FORM 23 which is a breach. That is when the DMIRS said that is when they will step in formally. Wait and see I guess. I did not respond to their email and will not be. 

I am going to buy a blacklight over the weekend and some chemical strips for testing if I can get those. They are trying to say it is a dead mouse, which it is not and that because I did not adequately ventilate the house of the carpet cleaning was done, that is why the smell. Um, I wasn't living there when the carpet was cleaned and they knew the date I was moving in. That was arranged after I provided my date to them. I'm the typical scapegoat here it seems. Ho, hum, I will let them just uravel themselves. 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Annoying for you that it's had to come to this, but people shouldn't be allowed to rent out and charge for accommodation that isn't suitable for habitation. It sounds like the house is worth looking after, so as "investors" the owners should know that it will be money invested, not money spent. Its good to know that you have a knowledgeable  organisation backing you now. 

@TedBear 

Well I'm about to see what my small town is made of. I've got the backing of two big organisations here in my town now. I'm darn tired of owners and real.estates making life hard for people. Sure, not everyone does the right thing but I'm not everyone and I'm treating it as an individual case. I'm so angry now that I'm going to prove beyond reasonable doubt that what I'm saying is right. I'm buying a specific blacklight today and seeing if I can get some chemical testing equipment from somewhere too The investment company will ever be able to sell it, the way it is in  Furthermore he better watch himself because it's is a local heritage listed house and he could get into even more trouble if I get the council in  Thank you for your response and support. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects