Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber and metal hallway table

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

Timber and metal hallway table

My beautiful best friend asked if I could build her a table for their new home. She found one online and asked if I could replicate it but to suit the size and style of their house. It was great trying something new (as I had never used metal for the main base). She was so thankful and absolutely loves it! 

I used galvanised square metal poles, which a hollow. So to help add stability and make it easier to join I purchased timber posts and cut them down so I could insert inside the poles. Was a bit fiddly but really worked a treat!! I pre drilled the holes for the screws and made sure to countersink so that they were all flush. I used matt black spray paint. For the table top I used spec rite utility pine panel. Cut to size, sanded and stained clear. I added to lengths of pine mouldings to the rear to assist with minor movement and also add a special feature.

B39DA03E-DA63-4829-BE3F-C7EC80299D3E.jpeg

6458817E-2569-45D7-8BE9-BCC9FDCE120A.jpeg

F5979383-2F6A-47DD-ACF0-445D662C9F5A.jpeg

6054DD23-C0F9-4B84-B141-F48E03E1E6BD.jpeg

502E54EA-7A5B-4A04-93EF-D001EC959A60.jpeg

344F5751-FEC4-4346-B83E-CDAE9A9B2C13.jpeg

0DBCC67E-EF67-4E00-8451-41B512B0F407.jpeg

77AF40E3-E6FF-4C9C-A063-C2DF32BE7BBC.jpeg

47422197-345B-4C67-ACCA-F30695B7A4BF.jpeg

302B463C-55BA-4B6C-AFDC-9B36CE5C7CF4.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Timber and metal hallway table

Love it @Tara86, very well done.

Look out for other members wanting tips about replicating your handiwork.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Perfect 🤩 

Looks really nice :smile:  Great job

Good little trick hammering wood into the hollow metal legs - I did the same thing on my small metal mancave bar frame, and screwed the bartop straight into those bits of wood to secure it, you did the same?

I was alot "dodgier" with my bar though  - the wood inserts didnt quite fit but using a big hammer I forced it in and it automatically sliced off the excess hahahah, your work looks smick mate gotta be happy with the result :smile: 

Tina1
Just Starting Out

Great hallway table and exactly what I'm after and have been after for I don't know how long. We don't have the right tools to make it, unfortunately!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tina1. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Let me mention @Tara86, so she is alerted to your kind comments. 

It appears that Tara has chosen this design and construction technique to minimise the tools needed. From what I can see, it looks like a drill, sander and saw is all that was used. I'm sure she'll let us know if any additional tools were used and would be happy to answer your questions if you wished to give this a go.

We look forward to hearing about the projects you have going on around your home and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our wonderful members contribute their ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@Tina1  in regards to tools @MitchellMc is spot on. There is another option available if you find yourself limited by your tools. 
Search on the Bunnings website for ‘Connect-it’. This a a great range of Aluminium Square tubes and matching joiners. These are larger tubes than the ones I used but makes the job easier as it’s easy to connect the tubes using the appropriate joiner. They are also available in black.
In regards to the table top, there is a wide variety of pine in different  lengths and widths. If your unable to cut any to the exact size, check with Bunnings to see if they are able to cut the wood to desired size. You can attach the wooden top to the tubes using strong adhesives (just check they are compatible with the aluminium and wood). There maybe other options to help attach - @MitchellMc  if you have any other suggestions regarding this that would be great!

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions please let us know. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

As @Tara86 has mentioned, a strong construction adhesive such as Selleys 350g Heavy Duty Liquid Nails would certainly replace having to screw the top down @Tina1. If you were to use the Connect-it joiner range, then the only tool you'll need would be a hacksaw to cut the tube to length.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects