Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What would you like help with?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What would you like help with?

The Bunnings team is considering hosting live events here on Workshop so you can get help and inspiration for your projects. The events would also be an opportunity to have some fun with the Workshop community. DIY-Live-Pos-2Col_1170px.png

We're keen to know what kinds of topics you might like to see covered in a future live video event. 

Perhaps there's a project you've seen on the site that you'd love to see brought to life? Or some tools and techniques you'd love to learn? Or the opportunity to ask an expert about a specific topic? Let us know by replying below. 

We're looking forward to your requests and suggestions.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Julieg9426
Having an Impact

Re: What would you like help with?

Basic mosaics, sanding and painting old timber furniture

One thing I've always had trouble with is cutting and joining a molded skirting board for an internal corner..

If you're planning on having any videos of various ways of doing things correctly, that's one thing I would like to see done..

dmwhancock
Finding My Feet

How to properly paint a front porch

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dmwhancock. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Do you have a painting project in the works? It would be great if you'd like to share it with us, and we'd encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance. There's plenty of members that will be happy to provide advice on how to paint your porch. We look forward to hearing all about your projects around the home and garden, and I trust you'll find loads of inspiration for them from our clever and creative members.

Mitchell

stelz
Making a Splash

Hi Jason,

I think it may be good to  give a demonstrate of basic tool usage, the correct of using a tools.  It's all good and well when we have certain tools, but are we using it correctly.   Back to basic demonstrate will be good. 

Thanks,

Juli
Growing in Experience

I found some  c o r f l u t e near pallets back of Bunnings to use as chicken boxes. This is a first project for testing out my ryobi circular saw and ryobi drill so testing on the free pallet timber and help from here has improved my confidence greatly in how to use the tools safely. My project has not been completed yet. I have two things left to practice.  One is cutting 30 and 60  degrees on timber which manual explained fully for circular saw. Ryobi drill didn’t come with a manual as I bought secondhand and bought 70 pieces drill bits from Bunnings. I can drill holes through the timber with a seven and a half drill bit either side of wood and then put bits of dowel to connect them but haven’t been able to drive a screw into wood successfully yet. Is low torque one better for slow speed of driving in screws into pallet timber? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Juli,

It's great to hear that you are making some fantastic progress with your new tools. Pallet wood is a terrific place to start and, as you've mentioned, inexpensive. How are you going with the circular saw? Was the video I posted for you in the Pallet coffee table discussion useful?

For driving screws into timber, it's best to set your drill to the lower speed setting. Select the number one speed switch on the top of the drill. Next, I'd advise turning the torque wheel setting right down to one. This produces the least amount of power. As you drive the screw in, you'll notice the drill will stop and start clicking. This is because you are on the lowest power setting, and the drill is engaging its clutch. Please note this does no damage to the drill and is a feature. Gradually increase the power setting until the drill can drive the screw home and flush with the timber surface. If you leave this setting and start to drive in a new screw, it will finish that screw flush with the surface again. If you try driving a screw on the highest torque setting, you will find the drill will drive the screw head deep into the timber or snap it off completely.

I've put together another video for you below to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

I agree with @MitchellMc , I'd love to see a comparison of high end products and tools to cheaper products and tools.

There a loads of 'how to do this activity' type videos on YouTube etc, however it's not so easy to find comparisons of expensive paint v cheaper paint, powder grout vs ready to go grout tubes (never again, too liquid/messy), expensive mini-chainsaw vs cheap mini-chainsaw etc, why/when you should use different types of saws etc

I guess you'd need to ensure you didn't offend your suppliers but it would be great to know when you should spend more (eg paint, chain saws) and when you don't need to (love my cheap Ozito mini sander).

I don't think I'd be organised enough to sign in for live events, but would love to access short videos.

querencia
Building a Reputation

I’d like to see videos for beginners who have less strength than the average person. Many projects are simply not doable if you’re unable to wield heavy materials or a heavy tool. It would be great to learn about alternative tools, materials and techniques that would empower those of us who would want to accomplish our projects safely but cannot do so due to injury or physical limitations. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects