Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix a worn edge of a door?

Orange
Just Starting Out

How to fix a worn edge of a door?

47F90562-3F5E-43FC-B4FA-D8714B0B2E7B.jpeg
Hi there, first time being here. I would like some advise please. As showing on the image, on the right side of the door, part of the edge is worn. Just wondering if there’s a simple way to fix it before I repaint the whole door? Thanks.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: how to fix a worn edge of a door

Hi @Orange,

Welcome to Workshop. It's great that you could join us and we trust that you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your projects from our wonderful community members. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have a new project or some plans to share. 

Hopefully members will have some quick and easy suggestions for your door, but I'd also consider buying a new one as they can be very inexpensive - https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/building-hardware/building-construction/doors/standard-interna...

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Is that water damage on MDF? It looks to be. If so, the door thickness may have swelled - difficult to fix - but if only on the surface, sand back, infuse with epoxy, then sand back again, then repaint, it will be better than new.

If it's a depression, and it doesn't look to be, any filler should do.
june8875
Getting Established

Using small knife that paper scrape out  and put builder filler

or call me i fix for you

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @june8875. We look forward to seeing more of your posts soon as it sounds like you have plenty of knowledge and experience to share with our community members. 

Welcome to Workshop,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Hello @Orange  

Do you know what has caused this damage?  you mentioned it was worn.  Is it dragging on something that's causing this damage?  If this is the case, that will have to be addressed or the situation will only re-occur.

It looks like it's had little chunks taken out of it.  Do you have any side profile pictures you could upload?  just to check out the side damage.  As it maybe a case that the strength of the door has been compromised..  It is a little hard to see with just one picture and minimal details.

I loaded up a similar request as I have a damage front door.  Mine has been damaged due to weather damage as it's extrenal and from what I can gather nothing in this house was ever painted correctly. Through lack of preparation.

Cheers

20190924_164245.jpg

Cheers 

Steven
Cultivating a Following

Clean out loose material and purchase yourself some Selleys Plastibond, it’s an epoxy filler from Bunnings suitable for timber and dries to a hard finish suitable for painting after sanding smooth... also great for sealing the end grain on base of door to stop water ingress. 

072AF26D-EAE0-48D7-9080-A4C89461EDE5.jpeg

4D129123-2A9B-4DC1-B86F-033DD011D39A.jpeg

Selleys-plastibond-heavy-duty-bog 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects