Workshop
Ask a question

Can you install weatherboard cladding over brick?

georgie
Just Starting Out

Can you install weatherboard cladding over brick?

Hi, 

I am really needing some advice about whether anyone has ever installed weatherboard cladding over their brick exterior? I love the Hamptons/Victorian/coastal look and our brick exterior is in desperate need of a revamp (they’re the old yellow 70’s coloured bricks). I’m also keen to hear whether it turned out what you expected or if you had a lot of issues with it.

Thanks in advance for any feedback 😊

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: weatherboard adding over brick

Hi @georgie
You can clad over brickwork
It will require either metal or timber battens fixed to the brickwork
Consideration also needs to be given to Flashing around openings ie windows and doors, brick weep holes, waterproofing, etc

Also check with your Council regarding compliance and energy requirements
You will need to put up photos as there are numerous details, these photos will also help others
Cheers
Chris

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @georgie,

Let me tag @2Belindas for you to see if she has had any experience cladding over brick in her renovation work. You might also be interested in discussions like this one about rendering as an option.

Many thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop. We're excited to see how this project progresses and know that you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration from other community members. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Here's my2c on Cladding and non-compliance

With new Engineering and Building Compliance Certification Regulations about to come in and

Combustible Cladding is becoming an insurance "Disaster" for the construction Industry

I suggest you get the best BIM Wall Details , Data and project planning tools that you can afford

Post back, PM or email if you require further assistance

JamesG
Growing in Experience

Hey Georgie, did you get any good advice on this? I'm keen to do the same thing. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JamesG. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cladding over brick.

James Hardie actually has a FAQ on Cladding your Hamptons home, in case you were going for a similar look as @georgie. As mentioned, the simple answer is yes, you can install Weatherboards over bricks and it's something that is regularly done. However, this requires the installation of timber or steel battens over the brickwork, followed by a water-permeable membrane. You'll then be able to attach the Weatherboards to your battens. You cannot fix the Weatherboards directly to the brickwork.

Please let me know if you have any questions; I'd be happy to answer them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects