Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom reno .. From get rid of it at the tip demolition to spa retreat

Dee-Zines
Cultivating a Following

Bathroom reno .. From get rid of it at the tip demolition to spa retreat

Gorgeous new spa retreatGorgeous new spa retreatin all its new shiny gloryin all its new shiny glorytiling complete floor to ceilingtiling complete floor to ceilingin constructionin constructionin constructionin constructiongetting theregetting therein constructionin constructionOGG. beyond disgusting !!OGG. beyond disgusting !!Yep,  that's what I started with !!!Yep, that's what I started with !!!

This Bathroom came from a house that should have been demolished...  instead , I could see the potential, and she had good, strong hardwood bones.  So to get started,  electrical  wiring and points all removed, (by qualified electrician),  demolition derby began with a big sledge hammer , and EVERYTHING straight to the skip bin and renovation took place wearing mask, goggles , overalls and a big peg on my nose !!  Old wet mouldy plaster taken out and the moulded ceiling removed.  You can clearly see the state of disrepair !!.   Then with 1 full skip bin of rubbish removed, ( unfortunately nothing could be recycled or reused, the slow and arduous 8 month process of getting the bathroom reborn began.  First  a complete new rewiring, new cement sheeting  on the ceiling, floor and walls  along with waterproofing. Inserts were left for the vanity and storage area in bathroom and shower.   I managed to find a fantastic old enamel bath , that I made to fit and only 168 cm wide, it was tight into the bath frame. This is a super small room 168 cm x 265 cm  and i've made it look really large as well as fully functional. A bath was a must have, so I made it an over shower so it was duel functional for those get ready to work early mornings !!    New lights , heater and exhaust fan , gorgeous tiles from Bunnings on the floor and walls installed and a new long slimline  wind out custom made hush, opaque window was put into place.  I custom made the bathroom cupboard from the recycled kitchen drawers and then used marine ply on the bench top.  I sourced a beautiful marble basin from Bunnings. along with the basin and shower and bath  taps and hardware . On went the new door, shower screen and final touches. This bathroom renovation took almost a year. Most materials, tools and equipment was from Bunnings , which as easily sourced.   I'm ultra proud of my dedication and  persistence to bring this bathroom once relegated to a demolition, into its new purposeful new life. :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom reno .. From get rid of it at the tip demolition to spa retreat

You must be thrilled with these results, and you're right, it looks just like a spa retreat, @Dee-Zines!

An amazing transformation, that's for sure; I can hardly believe your before pictures. You're bold to take on this project, but I'm so glad you did. I trust your project will provide some amazing inspiration for our members.

Thanks so much for sharing and providing details on the steps you took to achieve these beautiful results. I can't wait to see what project you tackle next.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dee-Zines
Cultivating a Following

Re: Bathroom reno .. From get rid of it at the tip demolition to spa retreat

Thanks Mitchell, I really appreciate the positive feedback.  

Yes, it was a huge project thats for sure. The whole house was in the same condition.  The add read when I purchased it ,

"Located on a corner allotment of approximately 628sqm lies a single storey residential dwelling which has no value whatsoever and its prime has long past. Ideally it would be demolished and the block would be sub-divide (S.T.C.A.)".

But with funds tight, I had good creative vision and just held on to that, especially  during times when I felt it was just such a huge undertaking and required so much effort and hard work...   But I persisted and most of my fortnightly pay, and got there in the end !!  I live super close to  a Bunnings  store, and with my powerpass card, great flexible opening times, made the hard work that much easier to source materials and equipment.  

I'm really  pleased with the outcome,  and now enjoying the,"spa retreat".  Thanks again Mitchell, most appreciated. Dee :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects