Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Budget bathroom ideas please

EricaW
Just Starting Out

Budget bathroom ideas please

Hello, 

Wondering if someone could help me with ideas on what is suitable to use on bathroom walls?

Our bathroom just has tiling in the shower and one row above the vanity..... I really would like all walls covered.... but tiling all walls would probably be too expensive?

Ideas?

Thankyou

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Budget bathroom ideas please

Hello @EricaW,

Firstly, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! We're thrilled to have you join us, and hope you find it a great resource for useful D.I.Y. advice and handy tips.

Thank you for your question on your bathroom refresh. I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be able to provide some suggestions when he's back on the site later. 

While waiting, I suggest checking out our Top 10 most popular bathroom projects shared on Workshop. It contains several inspiring bathroom revamps on a budget and might spark some creative ideas for your own makeover.

Looking forward to seeing updates as this project progresses. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @EricaW

In order to keep a critical eye on your bathroom renovation budget, I suggest measuring the walls you're planning to cover. Let's say for example that your bathroom is conservatively 2.4 x 2.4 meters. You'll need to cover an area of 5.76 square meters per wall. A box of 200 x 200 wall tiles will cover one square meter and will cost about $21.00. You'll need six boxes which will cost you a total of $126 plus the tile adhesive $30.15 and the grout $10.41 for a total of $166.56 per wall. 

The cost per wall will be dependent on the price of the tile you're after. Tiling it yourself will be the more affordable choice, but I suggest getting a registered tradesperson to waterproof the bathroom. Once you've added up all the little details of the cost you'll now have a much better idea of what kind of budget you'll need to set aside.

The other side of the coin of course is cosmetic upgrades. Using paint or EasyVJ panels to change the look of your bathroom is an affordable way to give your bathroom a fresh new look. I recommend having a quick look at this featured project - Bathroom makeover on a strict budget by @craftyhopper. I also suggest reading this guide - How to plan a bathroom renovation by @Adam_W

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @EricaW,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to seeing how you can transform your bathroom. Perhaps you could share some photos so members can see what you are working with and be in a better position to suggest next steps.

I also wanted to add that Workshop member @tamaraharringd recently shared a bathroom renovation with us in which she used VJ boards. You can find it here - Coastal bathroom reno with VJ panelling.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects