Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building that missing laundry

DavidJones
Getting Established

Building that missing laundry

20201030_105526.jpg

We bought our new home only to discover that the laundry was a washing machine in the corner of the garage. The garage was accessed through a door in the kitchen which made it convenient but totally inadequate as a laundry space. So we made the decision to lose half of one garage space and build a new laundry with as much storage space as possible. The other half of the garage space I turned into a small workshop area, which I desperately needed. Because the laundry is accessed from the kitchen, it made sense to match the kitchen decor. So the bench tops in the laundry are the same as the kitchen, the wall tiling is the subway pattern using the same size tiles as the kitchen, and the cupboards (Bunnings utility flat packs) are as close a colour match as the kitchen. Mybrilliant plumber was able to run hot and cold water from the kitchen to the new laundry and run the waste water from the laundry back to the kitchen waste plumbing. He did an excellent job. The overhead cupboards were standard size which left a gap in the centre which was easily solved by making a set of shelves from melamine sheeting from Bunnings. My wife is ecstatic about her new kitchen and all the extra storage she has so close to the kitchen. I'm very pleased with what I achieved. What do you think?

20200905_180907.jpg

20200915_103959.jpg

20201015_173833.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Building that missing laundry

Hello @DavidJones

Thank you very much for sharing your fantastic laundry project. Extra storage in any shape or form is always a win in any situation. The benchtop and cabinetry look great, would it be possible for you to post a photo of your kitchen to give us an idea of how close you got to duplicating its look? 

I can see the washing machine on the left, is that a bar fridge in the centre? Will you be putting in a laundry sink in the future or is this the final form of the room?  

Again, thank you for sharing your excellent laundry project. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DavidJones
Getting Established

Re: Building that missing laundry

Thank you for your kind comments. The bar fridge was a temporary arrangement until we were able to buy a new heat pump dryer. The sink was installed originally but wasn't captured in my photos. I've also included a photo of the kitchen, which is like a butlers area. The full kitchen with a large sink and dishwasher are not shown in the photo.

20220723_121441.jpg

20220723_121528.jpg

20220723_121557.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects