Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can this bathtub drain grate be replaced?

weirdwhiskers
Just Starting Out

Can this bathtub drain grate be replaced?

The drain grate in my bathtub is very rusty. I would like to replace it if possible.

1000024355.jpg

I've unscrewed and removed the grate, this is what it looks like underneath:

1000024383.jpg

This looks like there is a second plastic grate (or is it?). What can I do next? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can this bathtub drain grate be replaced?

Hi @weirdwhiskers,

First of all, welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and thank you for your question.

Let me start by saying, "Yes!", the drain grate can be replaced. However, you must note that the plastic piece of the waste that you see after removing the metal grate, is connected to the waste pipe through a screw mechanism from underneath the bathtub. To replace this, it would require gaining access to the underside of the bathtub, which can be quite an invasive endeavour.

With this project, I think there are two main options to restore the look of the drainage grate without being too invasive.

• You could replace the corroded waste grate with a retrofit waste kit such as EZYFIX 40mm Chrome Retrofit Waste Insert And Plug Bath / Basin Repair Kit. Please note that they come in more than one size, so it would require measuring the diameter of the waste before purchasing a replacement. 

• You could restore the old grate. You would start by removing the corrosion on the grate using a combination of CLR Ready to Use 750ml Calcium Lime Rust Remover and sanding with 120 grit sandpaper. 

If the finish is still nice after this, you could simply reinstall the grate following the reverse steps of how you removed it.

If you find the finish is not so great, you could repaint the grate following the steps shown in this previous post How to paint a shower grate.

Please always remember to wear your PPE and to use caution as even small tasks can lead to injuries.

Let us know how you go,

Jacob

Hi Jacob, thanks for the great tips! I have tried restoring the old grate. I think it's looking pretty good however there are now some bronze coloured bits. Is this brass? Will it be an issue if I don't paint over it? 

1000024439.jpg

Well done @weirdwhiskers , you've made a massive difference. 

I believe you are correct that it is brass, likely with a nickel coating. 

Unfortunately, the nickel coating is added by a process of electroplating, which is not something many people would have access to.

The only issue I foresee if you don't paint it, is that the corrosion may come back over time, but you now know how to restore it so you can certainly do it again. 

Please get in touch if you would like any further advice.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects