Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can we extend a tiled shower base?

Davofit
Getting Established

Can we extend a tiled shower base?

A few years ago we moved into a new house with this bathroom, but have now decided that we want the shower base to be bigger, so that it goes all the way to the vanity (we are then going to get a shower screen installed with a door on the other side).

The whole bathroom was waterproofed originally, so would I (or a tiler) be able to build up a new tile base above the existing tiles, or would it be a complete demo job?

Davofit_0-1664933229289.png

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Can we extend a tiled shower base?

Hi @Davofit,

You definitely have great bones for your bathroom and the larger shower will definitely be a big hit. Our resident DIY legend @EricL will be online later today to give his suggestions on how to tackle space for a new shower screen and door. In the meantime, let me tag Workshop members @Renowayoflife@homeinmelbourne@redbournreno as they have great bathroom reno experience and may be able to give some advice. 

Make sure you keep us up to date with your bathroom, we love seeing before and after photos. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redbournreno
Having an Impact

Hi @Davofit, I don't think you would have any problem adding a new shower floor over the existing to enlarge the shower without demolition of all the existing flooring.

Best start is to get quotes from 3 different tilers and their advice. If they add new L angles and screed to meet the existing floor drain then it's probably wise to add a new layer of waterproofing for that. 

Ensure they are confident to get good adhesion over the existing floor tiles. 

Choose your new shower floor tiles carefully to complement the existing timber look floor and vanity. I'd suggest no timber effect or it will clash. Maybe a small format darker colour would work best.

Alternatively a prexast shower base over the existing floor should work well too but I don't know how to do that well to support it over the existing tiled floor with gradient.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Davofit

I totally agree with @redbournreno's recommendations. I suggest getting some tiling quotes and seeing what they recommend concerning the waterproofing. I also suggest checking the rules and regulations of your local council concerning bathroom waterproofing. If tiling over your existing tiles and waterproofing are permitted then extending your shower area should not be an issue. 

However, it's best to prepare for the possibility that your tiles will need to be removed and new waterproofing will need to be put on. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your bathroom revamp.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects