Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you drill holes in a benchtop for the plumbing?

KDMelbourne
Getting Established

Can you drill holes in a benchtop for the plumbing?

Hi, we are looking to update our laundry. We wanted a benchtop to cover the washing machine and have a sink, and

tall broom cupboard at the end. I have included a photo of what we have and what we would like to do. Unfortunately we cannot move the washing machine taps as it is a brick wall behind. Is it practical to drill holes in the benchtop to allow access for the washing machine to the taps? (Floors are getting repaired and tiled next week)

IMG_7251.jpeg

IMG_6818.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you drill holes in a benchtop for the plumbing?

Hello @KDMelbourne 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your laundry makeover.

The good news is that it is possible to drill through your bench top to allow your washing machine hoses to connect to the laundry tapware. Please note that this applies to laminated and timber benchtops only. If you are using stone or quartz tops, you'll need to get a stone mason to cut the holes for you. My best advice is to invest in a good hole saw kit or blade so that you get a clean and precise cut.

My only other tip is to test the fitting of the washing machine and make sure that the outlet hose is tested properly before fitting and that the inlet hoses are positioned correctly so that you can push the washing machine as close to the wall as possible.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KDMelbourne
Getting Established

Awesome! Thank you. 
Would the drain pipe just go through the cabinet with the sink? 

Thanks.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @KDMelbourne 

Yes and yes :smile: When i retrofitted my Laundry I cut a hole in the bench top to allow for the water hoses to come through as I had the same issue.

I also cut a hole in the side of the cabinet for the waste from the washing machine to go to.

Here is my project if you wantto have a look Laundry retrofit 

Things to note 

Make sure the hole is big enough for a larger hose/hoses if they are installed at a later date and also that the head of the hoses fit through (Mine almost didnt)

Leaving space around the washing machine in case the next washing machine was larger.

Dave

Thats great advice! Thank you! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KDMelbourne 

As @Dave-1 has mentioned you'll need to drill into the side of your laundry cabinet to allow the exit pipe of your washing machine to pass through. Please make sure to read the instructions for the correct height placement of your washing machine exit hose.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

KDMelbourne
Getting Established

Thank you much for the advice! 

Great advice thanks! My next question is whether there is some kind of grommet available that would be big enough to use in the new hole (I calculate about 40mm in diameter) - much like a pc cable grommet but bigger. This would tidy up the hole and also protect the exposed internal chipboard from spills etc. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion. I'm sure @MitchellMc will be able to recommend something when he's back on the site tomorrow @paulep.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. Great to see you make your first post. We look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have a project to share.

Jason

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @paulep 

:surprised: I had the same thought but in the end I left it as is. I figured there is no movement and also the washing machine would hide the hole. 

It would be more professional look I would say :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects