Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you install a washing machine above cabinetry?

sharnagillies
Finding My Feet

Can you install a washing machine above cabinetry?

Hi there

I'm looking to plan a bathroom/laundry combo and was wondering if/how i can place my washing machine on top of the 1 draw 600mm cabinets? 

Problem is my washing machine would need to be set back at least 65cm, and is exactly 60cm wide. 
I'm happy to use 2 of the cabinets for the width but would really like an option for setting the cabinets off the wall slightly so i can comfortably sit my washing machine on the cabinet.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Sharna

RenoRach1
Making a Splash

Re: Can you install a washing machine above cabinetry?

Hi @sharnagillies ,

If you take a look at my utility room renovation project Queenslander laundry transformation , you'll see what I did. It might be similar to what you're looking to do - I used marine ply.  I can definitely recommend having the appliances raised off the ground - so much better for your back!  I installed four drawers and they are fantastic for sorting the washing into colours, whites, towels, sheets, etc, etc.  Because they're deep, they do hold a LOT of clothes and linen.  I also find that housing the appliances in the marine ply cabinets really deadens the noise of the machines - an added bonus!

All the best with your project!

Rach

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Can you install a washing machine above cabinetry?

Morning :smile: @sharnagillies 

I must admit seeing @RenoRach1 project I will have to change my opinion on it working. They look great! @MitchellMc 's drawings also say the same thing lol So I will do a polite bow to them both and admit that I have learned something new :smile:

Cant wait to see your Laundry down the track! Please take a bunch of frequent photos! :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects